Submit a site
Brass Ankles, Red Bones, Turks, Smilings and Other Mestees of SC
Ramapo Mountain People
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
ALHN Melungeon Webpage
- This is the Melungeon information page for the American Local History Network.
Appalachian Quarterly Magazine, Wise County (VA) Historical Society
- A magazine which regularly covers items on Melungeons. Link to the Melungeon Registry, which traces family histories of many Melungeon families. List of common Melungeon names.
Archives of the Melungeon Mailing List.
- Archives at RootsWeb. Choose arranged by subject threads or chronological order, with or without names and dates. Search for names or topics of interest.
Archives of the Melungeon-Kin Mailing List
- Messages on this Rootsweb mailing list. Includes some of the discussion on the Malange area of Angola as an origin of some of the original ancestors of the Melungeons.
Ayyildiz Turkish Report on Melungeons
- Report on the affinities between Turks and other Mediterranean people and Melungeons and other Mestee and Indian groups of east and southeast America. Scroll down to Melungeon article.
- Six different meanings for the term Black Dutch or Black German.
Black Dutch and Irish, Melungeons, Moravians, Pennsylvania Dutch
- Shirley Hornbeck's This and That Genealogy Tips, Genealogy Tips on Black Dutch and Irish, Melungeons, Moravians, Pennsylvania Dutch
Brent Kennedy's response to Virginia DeMarce
- Kennedy defending his book after DeMarce wrote a review attacking it.
Cyndi's List Melungeon Links
- List of links which includes several books and tapes about Melungeons which are available. Part of more than 82,000 genealogy links on Cyndi's List.
Darlene Wilson on the Melungeons
- Discussion of what the word Melungeon has meant through time.
Eastern Blackfoot - Siouan Indians from the VA-NC Piedmont
- Historical information on this group, Saponi Indians who migrated widely and contributed many ancestors to modern Melungeons, Cherokee, African-Americans and Whites in the Southeast and Appalachians. Perhaps the principal Indian source of the Melungeons.
Free African Americans of Va., N.C., S.C., Md., & Delaware
- Family history of 500 families who were free in Va., N.C., S.C., Md. and De. during the colonial period.
Gowen Research Foundation
- Information on families with the name Gowen, including variations. This includes the most common Melungeon name, Goins, Goin, Goings, Going, and others. Search the newsletters.
- Very good article on the Graysville Melungeons, found in Rhea, Roane and Hamilton counties, TN. These lowland Melungeons have a somewhat different origin and history from either the TN-VA mountain group or the KY-OH group.
Implementation of Segregation
- An interesting site highlighting racial laws that affected Black and mixed race people, with one letter on the Brass Ankles of South Carolina.
MELUNGEONS and Other Mestee Groups
- Full-text on-line book with annotated bibliography. Description and history of the Melungeons and other mixed race groups in the eastern United States. By Mike Nassau.
Meet the Melungeons
- Ian Morphitt goes in search of the lost tribe of America. An article from the Fortean Times 106.
- A site which has a very long list of other information on the Melungeons plus a recounting of some of the older stories about Melungeon history.
Melungeon Central Message Index
- A site for Melungeon genealogical research and the exchange of messages. By Mary K. Goodyear, who has done a lot of Melungeon research.
Melungeon Definition 2000
- A definition of the term Melungeon with an attempt to describe who would be included in the group.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor