Language and Linguistics
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A Philippine Leaf
- A description of literacy and writing systems in Pre-Hispanic Philippines.
A Study of Chinese Writing Systems
- Academic paper which examines Chinese orthography .
African Writing Systems
- An examination of the writing systems of Africa, including Amharic (Ethiopian).
Ancient Mesoamerican Writing
- Mesoamerican culture as expressed in Precolumbian writing systems, inscriptions and codices, with links to related sites.
Ancient Scripts of the World
- Lawrence Lo describes the origins, types and families of writing systems. Sections on phonetics, historical linguistics. Bibliography and links.
- Integrated Pictographic Language System for international communication, currently used by people with language-related disabilities.
Creative Ideas: Evolutions in the English Lexicon
- The combination of the symbology of the English language with that of mathematics to create new meanings.
- Describes the Eskaya people of Bohol, and their writing, numerical, and calendar system, as well as links to information about other Philippine scripts.
Evolution of Alphabets
- Site details the evolution of many of the world's major alphabets.
Impact of the Dravidian Culture on the Writing Systems in India.
- A paper which examines the development of scripts in India.
Indian Language Alphabet Comparison Page
- Eden Golshani's website - charts showing all the letters of the Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, and Gujarati syllabaries.
Introduction to Linguistics: Writing Systems Resources
- Links to information about graphemics.
Non-Roman Writing Systems and the Internet.
- Links of use to students of non-Latin languages and graphemics.
- Guide to all major alphabets, syllabaries and other writing systems. Also includes information on languages and links to other online language resources.
- Samples of non-Latin writing systems, including Cyrillic, Aramaic, a syllabary, and a phonetic system.
- An alternative alphabet delevopled for English by George Bernard Shaw. This site introduces Shavian script, and offers fonts and applications for the scholar.
- The world's largest online encyclopedia of graphic symbols, ranging from ideograms carved in mammoth teeth by Cro-Magnon men, to hobo signs and subway graffiti.
The Alphabets of Ancient Italy
- Etruscan, Umbrian, Oscan, and Volscian.
The Numbers in Various Writing Systems
- Numbers 1-10, in syllabaries, consonantal scripts, and sign.
Truetype fonts by Curtis Clark
- Downloadable Truetype fonts of ancient alphabets.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor