Language and Linguistics
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Ancient Egyptian Language Discussion List
- Online resources for the learning of ancient Egyptian, including hieroglyphic transcriptions/translations, discussion list and online tutorials.
Beinlich Egyptian-German Word List
- A searchable list of Ancient Egyptian words with German translations. Based on Horst Beinlich and Friedhelm Hoffmann's article in Göttinger Miszellen 140 (1994).
Centre for Computer-aided Egyptological Research
- Developers of computer software relating to Egyptology, especially Glyph for Windows and MacScribe for Macintosh, for typsetting hieroglyphs. Also provide Egyptian word and hieroglyph databases, dictionaries and indexes.
Digitized Slip Archive of the Wörterbuch der ägyptischen Sprache
- Detailed English background information and instructions on using a web database of ancient Egyptian words provided in German.
- An introduction to Egyptian Hieroglyphic writing and numbering. Interactive examples allow users to create hieroglyphic numbers and fractions.
- A graphic Hieroglyph-English dictionary. Based on Gardiner, Faulkner, etc.
Eye of Horus
Glyph for Windows
- A hieroglyphic word-processing program for Windows 95.
- Includes lists of common glyphs and a brief introduction.
- A brief explanation of Egyptian hieroglyphics. Also a list of the kings and queens of Egypt, and a brief description of pyramids and temples.
- A presentation of the hieroglyphic "alphabet".
- A guide and web directory to Egyptian hieroglyphs.
- Tools for learning, teaching and using hieroglyphs. Includes two-way dictionaries, interactive grammar lessons, and an online translator which accepts transliterations or English words.
Jim Loy's Egyptology Page
- Online grammar, dictionary, and fonts for Ancient Egyptian.
Lingua Aegyptia - Journal of Egyptian Language Studies
- LingAeg publishes articles and book reviews on Egyptian and Coptic language and literature: grammar, language history, comparative linguistics, literature.
MacScribe 2.0: Hieroglyphic Text Processor
- Software for typesetting Egyptian hieroglyphs on the Macintosh.
- Introduction to middle Egyptian and its hieroglyphs, with resources such as software and discussion forums.
The Hieratic Font Project
- A project of the Institute for the History of Ancient Civilizations, developing an extensive archive of hieratic computer fonts. Includes a good general introduction to hieratic and its history.
The Language of Ancient Egypt
- An overview of linguistic features, hieroglyphic writing and texts of Ancient Egypt
The Pronunciation of Ancient Egyptian
- Detailed introduction and survey, including some helpful .wav files.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor