Periods and Cultures
Sites and Monuments
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Alastair's Derbyshire Stone Circle Pages
- An informal guide to circles in Derbyshire, concentrating on high quality pictures and text detailed enough for the enthusiast.
- A website dedicated to the historic cultures of South-East Scotland. We will be attempting to catalogue the majority of ancient sites within the Lothians, as well as documenting the Celtic and Germanic histories and mythologies of the region up to about 1500 AD... OK, a pretty loose interpretation of "ancient"!
- An extensive pictorial guide to the prehistory of Scotland
- A guide to the standing stones, stone circles and other sites of South East Scotland
Avebury Stone Circle Panoramic Virtual Tour
- Panoramic image from Pete Glastonbury.
British Stone Circles
- Stephen Dean offers a collection of expandable photographs of stone circles he has visited, with OS map references.
- The symbol stones are perhaps the most enduringly enigmatic and yet widely known legacy of the Picts. A site with photos, book recommendations and the geography and history of the Picts.
- Photos, directions and commentary on stones and stones circles all over England by an enthusiast.
- Personal site by a British student including descriptions and photographs of circles and henges visited, along with essays written as archaeology coursework.
Maeshowe and Neolithic Orkney
- Events and photographs relating to Maes Howe and Orkney archaeology by Charles Tait, the Orkney based photographer.
Neolithic and Bronze Age Monuments in Wales
- Part of the survey of the country's prehistoric monuments made by Herbert Roese as a Ph.D. dissertation, with references to his and other publications.
Neolithic, Bronze Age and Pictish Sites of North East Scotland
- Photographs and locations of stone circles and carved stones in Aberdeenshire by George Soja.
Orkney's Standing Stones
- Images, descriptions and discussion of the Neolithic stone monuments of these Scottish islands from journalist Sigurd Towrie's Orkneyjar, with an introduction.
Selected Stone Circles
- A selection of circles and dolmens in Cumbria, Wales and Derbyshire rated by amateur enthusiasts Ian and Fiona for visitor interest, with expandable thumbnail photographs.
Standing Stones in Sussex
- A description of the stones with attached folklore in Sussex, with general background and bibliography, by enthusiast David Staveley.
- An article from British Heritage magazine by Leon Fitts that includes a description of Stonehenge, Avebury and Silbury Hill.
Stone Circles Virtual Fieldtrip
- A map-aided selection of the many stone circles in Great Britain and Ireland Tom Bullock has visited, photographed, and measured. Introduction and discussion of astroarchaeology.
Stone Circles in Angus and Perthshire
- Nick Brand presents his own photographs of some of the stone circles, standing stones and other ancient sites in Angus and Perthshire, with information from authoritative sources.
- Descriptions, information and maps for megaliths all over the UK.
Stonehenge by Night
- Andy Burnham provides images of Stonehenge and details of stone circles and other prehistoric monuments threatened with development, and what you can do to help.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor