Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
- Overview and intro to Japan, attractions, temples and shrines, brief guide of major cities, history, nuclear radiation and environmental issues.
Bank of Japan Currency Museum
- Extensive site with a history of Japanese currency including images.
Edo Japan -- A Virtual Tour
- A multimedia tour of Edo (Tokyo) during the 18th century, the age of the Tokugawa Shoguns; visit the city learning about the culture, lifestyles and history.
History of Cultural Relations Between Europe and Japan
- Sources, data, tables, texts related to the history of Euro-Japanese interchange, from Prof. Wolfgang Michel-Zaitsu.
History of Japanese Railways
- Chronological listing of railroads from 1872 to 1907 (the first line, redcap, women employed, horsedrawn, etc). A few illustrations, including a print of an 1870s train.
- History of Japan. Overview, and ancient to modern Japan
Japanese History Documentation Project
- Includes an encyclopedia, introduction to Japanese history, and booklists.
Manifestations of Gender Distinction in the Japanese Language
- Explains historical development of the Japanese language and diversity of its gender specific constructs and their usage.
National Museum of Japanese History
- Covers the history and the folk worlds of the Japanese from prehistoric and ancient periods to modern times. Exhibits include historical materials, replicas, and restorations.
Ogasawara Clan Genealogy
- Genealogical information of the descendants of the Ogasawara clan from 711 BC to the present.
Okinawa: The American Years, 1945-1972
- Chronology, history, photos, and more on post-war Okinawa.
The Imperial Family of Japan
- Provides biographical info, pictures, genealogical tables, and legal documents on the current status of the imperial family.
Timeline of Japanese History
- Brief outline of historical periods from the Jomon Period to the present.
Voice of Japan
- provides new information on topics from modern Japanese history, such as WWII war crimes, the holocaust and Japanese policy, post-war reparations, comfort women, new history textbook movement
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor