Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Imabari Culture Japanese Cultural Tours and Classes
- Cultural tours of Imabari, Japan and the surrounding regions. Hand-made Japanese dolls. Classes in Japanese cooking, ikebana, dance, and martial arts.
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Asuka Historical Museum
- History and art of Asuka, the first Japanese capital (7th century). Site includes a virtual museum containing both text and photos.
Early Japanese Visual Art
- A short survey of visual arts in early Japan from the Jomon to the Heian periods. Includes discussion of ceramics, painting, architecture, and printed books. Illustrated.
- The great flowering of classical culture.
Japanese Indigenous Index.
- Personal list of articles and contributed content.
- From the Nihongi, Book III. A selection of events from the life of the legendary founder of Japan, Emperor Jimmu.
Jo-Bo System of Heijo-Kyo
- Brief discussion of ancient city planning, using Nara as the example. Illustrations of the original grid system and its remains.
Kaido: The Ancient Roads of Japan
- A kids' info site from the Nagano Olympics, has basic info on the establishment and use of roads from c. 700.
- The fundamental break between the aristocracy and the common people.
Plurality in Japanese Society
- Article discussing the geographical and historical backgrounds of the various elements in Japanese society. Emphasizes the Ainu of Hokkaido and the Ryukyuans of Okinawa, but touches on other non-mainstream peoples, and differences among the Japanese as well.
Ryukyu and Ainu Textiles
- From the National Museum in Kyoto. With photos.
The Japanese View of the Hereafter
- Theory basing present attitudes on those of the Jomon period, as evidenced in contemporary Ainu and Ryukyu cultures.
The Yamato State
- The beginnings of the imperial system.
Time Line of Japan
- Chronological outline of the History of Japan.
Women and Women's Communities in Ancient Japan
- An essay on the historical role of women in ancient Japan, including an extended discussion of the life and thought of Heian women based on their diaries and other literary works.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor