Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A Glimpse of Ainu Culture
- Candid photos of traditional dress.
- Catalogue of books, periodicals, and audio-visual materials on the Ainu language in the collection of the Unuiversity of Tokyo.
- From the Alaska Native Knowledge Network. Links.
Ainu Fact Sheet.
- From Fusion Anomaly. Aggressive animation.
Ainu Information Link
- Iwata Mari's condensed English version of the Japanese site. Links.
Ainu Langauge Samples
- Sound files and dictionary links.
Ainu Moshiri (Hokkaido)
- Short essay on the struggles of the Ainu against the Japanese, from the 16th century to the present, from an Ainu perspective.
- Four small candids taken by Michael Smith.
- Photos of Ainu people, with captions. Images somewhat blocky.
Ainu-English Word List
- List of common Ainu words and their English translations.
International Symposium on Endangered Languages
- Brief report on the current situation of the Ainu language.
The Ainu - Japan's Indigenous People
- The Ainu culture, and the historical majority (Japanese) attitudes towards it.
The Ainu Museum
- Explanation of Ainu people, culture and customs. Located in Shiraoi-cho.
The Ainu of Japan
- Suite 101 Article by Andy Thompson.
The Head of Aterui
- Aboriginal history and the conquest of Japan, by Sakurako Tanaka. Thumbnails.
The Samurai and the Ainu
- Brief discussion of racial differences from Science Frontiers October 1989.
Toward a Genuine Redress for an Unjust Past: The Nibutani Dam Case
- Analysis of a case involving the right of the Ainu to be considered an indigenous people, and to enjoy the legal protection of their culture.
Traditional Ainu Fishing Techniques
- Article and photos by Jean-Philippe Soulé.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor