Library and Information Science
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
AASL Information Power program
- Includes information about the national standards for information literacy in K-12 education. Provides details about the book, Information Power: Building Partnerships for Learning, and supplemental materials for implementing the standards.
AASL Position Statement on Information Literacy
- The American Association of School Librarians presents its argument for information literacy initiatives in K-12 and postsecondary education.
ACRL Discussion Forum: Information Literacy Best Practices
- Read the third draft edition of the Association of College and Research Libraries' document, "Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices." Post comments on the draft through Spring 2001.
ACRL Institute for Information Literacy - Best Practices Initiative
- This project's mission is to determine criteria for assessing information literacy programs and to use that data to select best practice models. The authors state, "The goal of the project is to provide models of information literacy programs that institutions can use as benchmarks for comparison with their own developing programs."
ACRL/IS Teaching Methods Committee
- A collection of resources primarily about the practice of teaching information literacy. Of special interest are pages about computer classroom control systems, textbooks for information literacy courses, and examples of best practices. The Committee is a subsidiary of the Instruction Section (IS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).
Big6: The Big6 Skills Information Problem-Solving Approach
- The Big6 Model is one approach to teaching information literacy skills.
Critical Thinking in an Online World
- Author Debra Jones argues that critical thinking is a key component of information literacy instruction in this conference paper from 1996.
Curriculum Relevant to the SCLD Information Literacy Initiative
- The State University of New York (SUNY) System is implementing a SUNY-wide information literacy initiative. This page provides links to sample assignments and teaching strategies the librarians collected to assist this project. For information about the initiative, see http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/ili/iliover.htm.
Directory of Online Resources for Information Literacy (DORIL)
- A guide to a variety of resources that relate to the concept of information literacy. Unique features include programs in K-12 education and conference listings. Use caution--some subpages have not been updated regularly.
Information Literacy & You
- This online tutorial for Penn State University students provides an overview of key information literacy skills and concepts for college students. In addition, it serves as a model of a well-designed instructional module.
Information Literacy Community Partnerships Initiative
- This American Library Association initiative aims to build bridges between academic / school library information literacy programs and public libraries.
Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education
- A core resource for anyone starting a new information literacy program or assessing an existing program. These standards, performance indicators, and examples are approved by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).
Information Literacy Credit Courses in Canadian Colleges and Universities
- Links to information literacy credit courses in Canadian colleges and universities.
Information Literacy. ERIC Digest.
- A very brief introduction to the field of information literacy.
Institute for Information Literacy (IIL)
- An initiative to assist librarians in becoming information literacy teachers, leaders and advocates. The 4.5 day "Immersion" program is described. A selection of advocacy resources and readings for new instruction librarians are included.
LOEX Clearinghouse for Library Instruction
- Lists important conferences for information literacy professionals. Notable links include a listing of information literacy course syllabi, guides for writing library assignments, and sites about electronic library classrooms.
Media Literacy Online Project - Information Literacy
- This guide to the topic includes well-annotated links to articles, bibliographies, other guides, instructional materials, references, and standards. The site is provided by the College of Education at the University of Oregon.
Objectives for Information Literacy Instruction by Academic Librarians
- Supplements the ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education (above) by identifying "a variety of objectives that help to achieve the outcomes in the Standards document." Intended for application by academic librarians actively participating in information literacy programs.
Seven Faces of Information Literacy in Higher Education
- Describes how information literacy is "experienced by those who use information." Addresses information-seekers conception of information literacy.
TILT - Texas Information Literacy Tutorial
- An award-winning, interactive library tutorial, created by the Digital Information Literacy Office at the University of Texas at Austin. TILT has an open publication license that allows other institutions to create customized, local versions of the tutorial.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor