Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Aristotle and Virtue Ethics
- Discussion forum, lectures, and links to texts on Aristotle's ethical theories, and a survey of its influence on modern virtue theory.
Aristotle's Virtue Ethics
- Notes by Charles Ess.
Buddhist Virtue Ethics and the Oneness of Practice and Attainment
- Critical review by KnutJohan Øen of Damien Keown's `The Nature of Buddhist Ethics'.
Core Values: The Problems of Justification and Motivation
- Article by Charles A. Pfaff presented at JSCOPE, an organisation concerned with the application of ethics to the military. Pfaff argues that the core values initiative casts insufficent light on practical problems, and that an account of character and virtue is needed.
Does Hume Have an Ethics of Virtue?
- Article by Marcia L. Homiak presented at the 20th World Congress of Philosophy, which argues that Hume's ethics is best seen as a virtue ethics.
Doing Military Ethics with War Literature
- Article by Robert Bonadonno presented at JSCOPE 99, arguing for the importance of lierary narrative in forming a practical appreciation of military virtue.
Ethics and Virtue
- Short article discussing the realtionship of ethics and virtue in decision making. Appears at the Ethics Connection, a centre at Santa Clara University.
- A short survey on the views of philosophers who are skeptical of theorising in ethics. Such a standpoint is commonly allied with virtue theory.
Moral Philosophy Meets Social Psychology
- Gilbert Harman argues that the belief that `strong character attributes exist' is both grounded in common sense and a mistake.
Rationality and Evaluative Frameworks
- Thesis by Arto Laitinen, principally concerned with the claims by Alasdair MacIntyre and Charles Taylor on the nature of moral reasoning.
Review of The Virtues in Medical Practice
- By Jonathan Imber, published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The Exercise of Military Judgment
- Article subtitled "A Philosophical Investigation of the Virtues and Vices of General Douglas MacArthur."
The Foundation of Ethics
- A short essay by Karl Jahn on the natural and rational basis of ethics, emphasising the importance of the virtues and vices.
The New Dialogue
- Interesting site, concerned with the idea that there is a crisis in liberalism. Contents are structured as a Platonic dialogue, covering the works of such familiar figures as MacIntyre, Sandell and Taylor.
- By John Greco of Fordham.
Virtue Ethics (Not Too) Simplified
- Article by Philip Cafaro presented at the 20th World Congress of Philosophy.
Virtue Ethics and Core Values
- Essay by Jeffrey R. Tiel presented at JSCOPE 99, applying the discussion on virtue ethics to the needs of the US armed services, and arguing that an account of virtue needs to be supplemented by an account of core values.
Virtue Ethics and Leadership
- Essay by Charles Pfaff presented at JSCOPE 98, which argues that virtue ethics can cast light on issues of leadership that utilitarian and rule-based systems cannot.
Virtue Ethics in the Ancient World
- Graduate seminar series organised by Cynthia Freeland at the University of Houston.
Virtue Ethics without Character Traits
- Gilbert Harman argues in this essay that the account of virtue ethics of Judith Thomson has the advantage of, unlike her rivals, not supposing the existence of `strong character traits'.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor