Language and Linguistics
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A virtual language laboratory
- A free, online language laboratory providing pronunciation practice and accent correction in a number oflanguages including British and American English.
Acoustics of the vowel
- Experiments concerning the physical characteristics of vowels: formants and pitches (F0), formant pattern ambiguity, formant number alteration. Important for all sciences related to speech, acoutsic phonetics, speech therapy and speech recognition.
CMU Pronouncing Dictionary
Contrasted Phonology of English & Portuguese Vowels
- English, Portuguese & Spanish vowels are discussed, and possible errors of Portuguese ESL students are examined.
- A useful course on the basics of phonetics. Many online resources and explanations.
IPA-SAM Phonetic Fonts
Interactive Sagittal Section
International Phonetic Association
- Provides the academic community world-wide with a notational standard for the phonetic representation of all languages: the International Phonetic Alphabet.
Linguistics & Phonetics Worldwide
- The big list of links.
Linguistics, Phonetics and Word Activities
- Linguistics, phonetics and online vocabulary resources. Phonology, Language Departments, books and dictionaries for phonics, English words and linguistics.
- How to pronounce "ghoti," and why.
MAS Model of Vowel Perception and Production
- Visual identification of raw complex waveforms has lead to a new model of vowel perception. Explains categorization, vowel misperceptions, and how a vowel is produced.
Magical Letter Page
- Phonosemantics- the meaning of sound.
Phonological Atlas of North America
- Telsur is a telephone survey of the major urbanized areas of the U.S. and Canada.
- Cours d'introduction la phonétique de la section de linguistique de l'Universit de Lausanne. A multimedia introductory course in phonetics from the University of Lausanne.
Praat - A system for doing phonetics by computer
- Huge software for doing all kinds of acoustical analysis (by Paul Boersma, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands).
- Text-to-speech translator which also reads ASCII representations of the IPA.
- Links to internet resources in phonetics and speech communication.
Sounds of the World's Animals
- How animal sounds are represented in various languages.
Speech Visualization Software Tools
- Shareware tools for speech training using real time visual feedback on sounds. Runs on Windows 95 or 98, free downloads. Spectrograms and much more.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor