Submit a site
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Higgs Particle Possibly Discovered
- A report on one of the potentially most important discoveries of the new millennium, along with a summary of the standard model of particle physics.
How Stuff Works: How Atom Smashers Work
- Tutorial with 28 color illustrations and photographs looks at these amazing devices and how the results they obtain tell us about the fundamental structure of matter, the forces holding it together and the origins of the universe.
Introduction to Particle Physics
- Beginners guide to particle physics.
- Introductory information on leptons (electrons, muons, taus, and neutrinos).
Life, the Universe and the Electron
- An exhibition to celebrate the centenary of the discovery of the electron--A collaboration between the Science Museum, London, and the Institute of Physics
Meltdown at Three Mile Island, a Documentary
- Companion site to the PBS show of the same name. Covers "How a Nuclear Reactor Works" and "What Happened," showing the series of events that took place on March 28, 1979. Useful for a quick lesson about Three Mile Island. Also has teacher's guide to the show and a link for ordering the video. Requires Java-enabled browser.
Nuclear Age Timeline
- A chronological record of the nuclear age: links to people, documents and educational units. Explore political and ethical dilemmas of the Nuclear Age.
Nuclear Energy Guide
- Learn the beginning concepts of nuclear energy including nuclear fission, accidents, power and both sides of the nuclear argument. (quicktime plug-in)
Nuclear Power Plant Demonstration
- Interactive online demonstration: Play the role of a control-room operator at Sweden's Kärnobyl nuclear power plant, and try to keep the reactor running safely under various failure scenarios.
Nuclear War and You
- The effects of a nuclear blast.
OnScreen Particle Physics
- A simulation for Mac and Windows 95/98/NT that allows even beginning students to experience what real particle physics experiments are like. Demo versions available for download.
Physicists and the Bomb
- Course taught at U of Michigan in the fall of 1999. Covers mainly atomic energy, its history, and its uses. Has a very large collection of related links to browse.
Physics Freeware and Nuclear Particles
- This page permits downloading of animated, interactive graphics programs if a Dos Prompt is available (W95) or a slide show of images showing the same information (W98+). They are about advanced concepts with little math.
Quantum Mechanics and Atomic Physics
- Essays on the development of quantum mechanics and it's application to scientific principles.
Reflections on Matter
- Atoms to quarks, quantum physics, the big bang, and newer theories about matter.
SLAC Visitor Center
- Information provided by SLAC for informing the general public about particle physics.
Tau Decay Physics
- Summary of decay modes and their probabilities.
The Internet Plasma Physics Education Experience (IPPEX)
- The site "allows students and teachers to participate remotely in scientific research at [America's] largest fusion energy laboratory." Requires Java-capable browser and Shockwave plug-in to be able to use the excellent educational modules. Also has an "ask the expert" forum for fusion-related questions.
The Particle Adventure
- An award-winning site from the Particle Data Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Labs. "A tour of the inner workings of the atom."
The Particle Zoo
- A short explanation of the multitude of elementary particles, from Usenet physics FAQ.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor