Conditions and Diseases
Wounds and Injuries
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
- Covers recognition and treatment; discusses incidents not normally expected, such as the elderly in their homes. By National Institute of Health.
Accidental Hypothermia: The Cold Can Be Trouble for Older People
- Article on the effects and potential, often serious problems cold weather poses to older people. From The Daily Apple.
- Hypothermia is a factor in about half of Minnesota's boating fatalities each year. Hypothermia simply means that the body is losing heat faster than it is producing it, causing a decrease in the body's inner temperature. One of the greatest dangers to boaters is from immersion in cold water.
BBC News: Cold 'killing 50,000' each winter
- News article: Campaigners are calling for action to help prevent 50,000 deaths from cold in the UK each year.
BBC News: Hypothermia: The facts
- News article: Exposure to the cold is estimated to cause 30,000 deaths a year in the UK.
Balancing hypoxia and hypothermia in cold-submerged frogs
- Many animals respond to hypoxic stress by selecting cooler environments, the so-called 'behavioural hypothermia' response.
Book: Basic Essentials of Hypothermia
- Doctor (William Forgey, MD) explains the two basic types of hypothermia, how to diagnose and treat them, what to fear after the victim has been re-warmed, how to avoid hypothermia.
Chamonix Hospital Cold Injury Page
- Research, evaluation, prevention and information in Mountain Medicine and Traumatology. By Mountain Medicine and Traumatology Department of Chamonix Hospital.
Cold Hurts: Frostbite, Frostnip, and Immersion Foot
- Cold-weather injuries. Recognize when and how to thaw frostbite and how to take care of an injury until it heals. Alaska Sea Grant and the Literacy Council of Alaska.
Cold Injuries & Cold Water Near Drowning Guidelines
- Guidelines developed for use by prehospital, clinic and hospital personnel in dealing with cold injuries. By the State of Alaska.
Cold Weather Camping Checklists
- Checklist and links compiled by Boy Scout Troop 129, Anchorage, Alaska.
Cold Weather Camping and First Aid
- Cold weather comfort and safety.
Cold Weather Precautions: Preventing Hypothermia
- Tips for preventing hypothermia.
Cold can Kill
- Causes of hypothermia, how the body loses heat, how to diagnose hypothermia, how to prevent it, and how to treat victims of hypothermia. Alaska Sea Grant and the Literacy Council of Alaska.
Colorado Firstrax, Winter Survival Articles
- Skills and minor items that will improve your chances during unplanned misadventures while backcountry skiing.
First Aid: Hypothermia
- Hypothermia is a condition that comes about when the body's heat regulating mechanism can't cope with the conditions it's working in.
- Information about frostbite, including treatments and prevention. An article from essortment.com.
Frostbite and Hypothermia
- Hazards of cold injuries in Antarctica.
Georgia Farm Bureau Safety: Hypothermia
- When you hear about hypothermia, you usually envision someone stranded in a terrible winter storm. However, hypothermia can occur when it's wet, windy and up to 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit. This condition is most common in cold weather, but infants and the elderly can develop hypothermia at temperatures greater than 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
H.E.L.P. and Huddle: Cold Water Survival
- Image illustrates techniques to prolong life in cold water.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor