Religion and Spirituality
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
An Incentive to Prayer
- Essay by the late Cardinal Spellman says that the publication in English of the official prayer book of the Church offers a tremendous opportunity for anyone who wishes to grow closer to God in prayer.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Breviary
- Evolution of the book, or set of books, containing the texts and rubrics of the canonical hours.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Canonical Hours
- Essay on the practice of reciting the Divine Office according to set hours.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Compline
- Scholarly essay on what is essentially a bedtime prayer, often recited privately.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Divine Office
- Brief essay on the historical development of the Liturgy of the Hours.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Lauds
- Article on the canonical hour once known as Matins, then as Lauds, now as Morning Prayer. One of the two principal hours.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Matins
- Not Morning Prayer, but a nighttime prayer, which has now been replaced by the Office of Readings.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Music of Vespers
- Applies especially to the cathedral Office, i.e., the Liturgy of the Hours in a parish setting.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Nocturns
- The convoluted history of this nighttime prayer.
Catholic Encyclopedia: None
- Essay on the daytime hour recited in mid-afternoon.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Office of the Dead
- Historical article on a special set of prayers for the deceased.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Prime
- Article on the office of Prime, now suppressed.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Reform of the Roman Breviary
- Article on the 1911-1913 revamping of the breviary so as to allow recitation of all of the Psalter each week. Feasts were also ranked according to liturgical importance, and some offices were no longer obligatory or were even suppressed.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Sext
- Article on the midday office.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Terce
- Essay on the office of Terce, the earliest of the "little hours" in the day.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Vespers
- Historical article on Evening Prayer, one of the two principal canonical hours.
General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours
- Published by the Congregation for Divine Worship in 1971.
Introduction to the Roman Breviary
- By William J. Lallou. Written in 1950, so the four books he mentions do not correspond to the four-volume set in use today.
John Cassian's Institutes, Book 2
- About evening and night prayer and psalmody.
John Cassian's Institutes, Book 3
- About daytime prayer and psalmody in fourth-century Egyptian monasticism.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor