Submit a site
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
New Perspectives on The West
- Companion site to Ken Burns' program about the American West featuring an interactive timeline, maps, and archived primary source materials.
Old West Kansas
- Compilation of the Kansas Heritage Sites covering a broad range of topics dealing with the American West and more specifically with the history of Kansas.
Old West Library
- Publishers of first-person accounts (primary sources) of the history of the Old West.
Old West Links - How the West Tamed America
- Provides online Old West resources (links) about Gold Rush history, overland trails, and Old West lore and legend.
Pioneer & Frontier Life
- Provides letters, diaries, and other papers associated with the expansion westward and daily life on the frontier in the U.S.
Repositories of Primary Sources: Western United States and Canada
- Provides links to primary sources of historical materials relating to the history of the Western United States.
Sod Houses and Dugouts
- Illustrated essays on pioneer techniques of building houses from turf or hollowed out of rock, from Websteader SodHouses.
- Overviews and maps of several expeditions that opened Arizona and the American West.
The American West Frontier History
- A collection of American western history web sites for the use of college students.
The Dawes Act or General Allotment Act of 1887
- Complete text of the Dawes Act, an act to provide for the allotment of lands in severalty to Indians on the various reservations.
The Depression Years (1929-1940)
- Period photos and description of the impact of the Depression on the West.
The History of the Upper Midwest
- An overview of the history of the upper Midwest including lay of the land, the Indians, the French, the British, the ordinances, the pineries and the mines.
The Lazy S Ranch
- Provides historic information on cowboys and frontier life in North and South America.
The National Festival of the West
- The country's largest celebration of the Old West and the American cowboy, held annually.
The Northern Great Plains (1880-1920)
- Photographs from Fred Hultstrand and F.A. Pazandak Photograph Collections with 900 photographs of rural and small town life at the turn of the century.
The Old West: America's Frontier
- Provides information on the history of the American West along with photos and links to other Old West related sites.
The Western History Photography Collection
- The Denver Public Library collection of more than 500,000 photographs related to the history of the American West with over 50,000 of these images on the Internet.
The Wild West
- Information on the outlaws, lawmen, women, and towns of the Old West.
Turner: The Frontier In American History
- Classic by Frederick Jackson Turner: The significance of the frontier in American History reprinted online.
Union Pacific Rail Road-History
- This is the story of the first transcontinental railroad; the greatest, most daring engineering effort the country had yet seen.The idea was to span the west with iron rails from Omaha to Sacramento.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor