Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Exorcism by Rabbis: Talmud Sages and Their Magic
- An article by Meir Bar-Ilan centering on the Jewish sages of the Mishnah and Talmud who dealt with magic in the religious context of their times; demonstrates survivals of this ancient phenomenon in contemporary Israeli and Palestinian religious folklore.
Fetichism in West Africa
- By Robert Hamill Nassau (1904), e-text from the Internet Sacred Text Archive.
Gods and Saints as Lucky Figures
- Polytheistic religions may have indigenous luck-gods; monotheistic people often expect "foreign" deities to bring them good luck; this world survey of "lucky" gods and saints provides links to pages on Mexican Lucky Buddhas, Saint Joseph real estate kits, Durga's "magic number triangle," and other unusual confluences of folklore and religion.
Islamic Resurgence and the Belief System of Rural Malays
- A lengthy scholarly article by Anne Katherine Larsen that identifies and discusses tradtional folkloric "extra-religious beliefs" and customs that reside beneath, and sometimes conflict with, the ostensibly Islamic Malay culture.
Jinni - by Tuygun Sevki
- Belief in the Jinni dates back to pre-Islamic Turkish society. To ignore the existence of the Jinni, and risk offending them, could result in being "struck" [carpilmak] by having a limb or a joint thrown out of place, requiring an elder with knowledge of the appropriate prayers to correct the infliction.
- A UCLA Folklore Archive site presenting background, origin-stories, production methods, and folktales about duck egg yolk Moon Cakes and their important role in the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival. An illustrated interview with the head chef at a Cantonese Moon Cake bakery is included.
Popular Religion in Portugal
- Appearances of the Virgin at Fatima, religion in the north of Portugal, and origins of selected Portuguese popular saints considered from a non-religious viewpoint.
Raining Thunder Wolf Lodge - The Sweat Lodge
- Describes the purification ritual in detail, with emphasis on the spiritual vision, connection, and healing aspects.
Santo Nino - The Infant Jesus of Prague in Filipino-American Homes
- A UCLA Folklore Archive site about the Filipino-American folk belief and tradition surrounding Santo Nino, a representation of the Infant Jesus Christ of Prague. A photo gallery depicts Santo Nino altars and celebrations in family homes.
The Significance of Baptism in Estonian Folk Belief
- An article describing Estonian folk-religious customs surrounding baptism, baby naming, and the celebration of name-days.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor