Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
An introduction to the Sami people
- General presentation and description of the Sami people (the native and indigenous population of the Scandinavian peninsula), the texts focus on conditions in Sweden, yet gives briefs on the situation in Norway, Finland and Russia as well. Site maintained by Sami journalist who stresses that this is no "official" site.
Forum of Sámi Women
- The forum is a network for local and regional development. Information about past an present projects.
- Article about the Sami artist 60 years after his death. Published in Samefolket.se by John Gustavsen.
Lavvo Saami Art & Nature
- Native Art: Sami gold- and silver-jewellery from 900 to 2000 AD, Sami ceramics and stoneware from 4000 BC to 2000 AD, photo, Picture Agency, Guide, Museum, reindeer, travels, education.
Northern Lavvu - Makers of Sami tents
- Northern Lavvu: offering traditional Sami tents for fellow Sami and friends. Minneapolis-based small-scale manufacturer. Site contains excellent introduction to the Sami tent with illustrations from classical literature.
On the importance of symbols
- Article about symbols and nativeness. Published in Samefolket.se by Krister Stoor.
Protest against the exploitation of Sami culture
- Protest page against exploitation of the native culture in Rovaniemi, Finland. Examples with illustrations.
- Information about NRK and SR Sámi. Sami ezine, and radio programs available in Real Audio format.
Saami Easter Festival in Kautokeino
- Festival held every easter celebrating Sami culture: music, films and theater. Sports events are reindeer and snowmobile races.
Saami University College
- Fact sheet about the college established in Guovdageaidnu (Kautokeino) in 1989 to cover the needs of higher education and research of the Sami society, and to strengthen Sami professional qualifications in various fields. The college has a responsibility for Sami higher education in general, and especially for teacher training.
- Web edition of the Swedish magazine. A selection of news and stories in English.
- The Sami parliament of Sweden. Also includes extensive bibliographies of literature in English about the Sami, and subject bibliographies, e.g. Sami religion.
- Broadcasting three Sami languages. Some about the Sami people as well.
Sami culture, trashed by the tourist industry
- Articel about the exploitation of the Sami culture have by the tourist industry. Published in Samefolket.se by John Gustavsen.
Sami place names
- Original Sami name forms of places in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Russia. "This is the site of Luistxo Fernandez, a Basque internaut." Contains place-names of minority and native peoples. Text in English and Basque.
Samis : Location and Population
- Information from the Endangered Uralic Peoples site.
Somby, Ande - Cyberilbmi
- A joik performer of the Sami or Laplander people, Somby also is a designer and photographer, and he is associate professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Tromsø.
The Centre for Sámi Studies and Sámi issues at the University of Tromsø
- Various documents about Sámi issues at the University of Tromsø (Norway): Sámi research and education. Indigenous Peoples' Research Network. Research documentation. Sámi Library Resources (in Norwegian). Publications from the University Museum. Download area for research papers and computer tools for writing Sami.
The Fear of a Sami National State
- Discussion of the Norwegian response to the question of Sami national identity. Published in Samefolket.se by John Gustavsen.
The Kola Sami in Russia
- From the Red Book of the Peoples of the Russian Empire. "The authors of the present book, who come from a country (Estonia) which has shared the fate of nations in the Russian and Soviet empires, endeavour to publicize the plight of the small nations whose very existence is threatened as a result of recent history. Perhaps it is not too late to give a supporting hand to them without an attempt at either ideological brainwashing or economic exploitation." (Introduction).
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor