Submit a site
World War II
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Art Theft - Most Wanted Art
- Search for the world's most wanted art.
Art Theft from Cyprus to Munich
- Archaeology magazine feature article by Mark Rose on the looting of frescoes, mosaics and icons from churches in Northern Cyprus
- Authenticates works of art using fingerprints and forensic analysis.
Britain Leads Illicit Trade in Rare Books
- The Guardian reports that Britain has become the centre for criminal traffick in ancient manuscripts and historic books.
Council for the Prevention of Art Theft
- Registered charity which promotes crime prevention measures to protect art works from theft, damage or destruction by criminal activity.
Find Stolen Art
- Database of stolen art objects, jewelry, and watches.
Holy Door of the Monastery of St. Anastassios
- Human Rights Action pleads with the Kanazawa College of Arts in Japan to return an 11th-century iconic door looted from Cyprus. Includes photograph.
Interpol Database of Stolen Art Works
- Site markets CD-ROM database of stolen art. Also provides links on this subject.
- Studies by Christopher Chippindale and David Gill of the University of Wales Swansea on the material and intellectual consequences of collecting antiquities, with related links.
Looting Question Bibliography
- Hugh Jarvis lists Internet and published resources on the archaeological politics of private collecting, commercial treasure hunting, looting.
Michel van Rijn
- Dutch former art dealer and smuggler who has collaborated with police against the illicit art trade. Includes a 'Swindler's list' of art theft news; synopsis of his book Hot Art and Cold Cash.
- The need for and use of Object ID standards with cultural property.
- Missing painting by Peter Howson, entitled 'Bed Time Stories', last seen on exhibition in Glasgow 1993. Reward offered for information. Photograph, description.
Price of Age
- An electronic dissertation on the illicit trade of antiquities by Andrew Cranwell.
Salvo Theft Alerts
- UK listing of recent stolen garden and architectural antiques.
Sources of Information on Antiquities Theft
- Librarian provides a bibliography and list of Internet resources on theft of antiquities.
Stolen Antiques Database
- Around 14 percent of garden antiques stolen have been recovered on our site since 1995. Mainly UK, but also USA and Europe.
Stolen Antiques and Sculpture
- The oldest internet site for stolen items. Recovery rates of around 14% over the past five years. Police, museums, and stately homes subscribers.
Stolen Antiquities from Corinth Return to Greece
- The Hellenic Ministry of Culture rejoices in the recovery of the priceless collection of artifacts stolen from the Archaeological Museum of Ancient Corinth in 1990. Illustrated catalogue.
Stolen Property or Finders Keepers?
- Dede Tisone-Bartels provides teacher's resources for considering the true ownership of works of art which have been taken from their place of origin to museums and collections around the world.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor