Language and Linguistics
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Cameron Laird's personal index to anthropologic resources on the net
- Two software applications to aid glottochronological & lexostatistical analysis.
Corpora and historical linguistics
- Historical linguistics can be seen as a species of corpus linguistics, since the texts of a historical period or a "dead" language form a closed corpus of data which can only be extended by the (re-)discovery of previously unknown manuscripts or books.
Emily's Introduction to Historical Linguistics
- A brief summary of the topic.
Genetic Distance and Language Affinities
- Between Autochthonous Human Populations.
- A demonstration of the law.
- HyperCard stacks (for Macintosh) on historical linguistics, Indo-European roots, comparative reconstruction, and Grimm's law.
Historical Linguistics Methodology
- Academic papers available in Postscript, PDF, and Word97 formats.
Indo-European and the Comparative Method
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Proto-Indo-European (and the comparative method), but were afraid to ask.
Kjell Gustafson's homepage - Historical Linguistics
- An overview of the field of historical linguistics and its sub-disciplines.
LSA Fields of Linguistics - Language Variation and Change
- by Sarah G. Thomason of the University of Pittsburgh.
Lehmann's Reader: A Reader in Nineteenth Century Historical Indo-European Linguistics
- Anthology of important works of nineteenth-century historical Indo-European linguistics, edited and translated by W. P. Lehmann, 1967.
Linguistics 450 - Language Reports
- A collection of student papers from a historical linguistics class. Covers the histories of individual languages and that of language families.
Linguistics: Historical Linguistics
- A light-hearted discussion of Indo-European.
Place Names and Intersocietal Interaction
- The relation of place names to inter-tribal relations.
Relations between Indoeuropean and Afroasiatic Languages
- Traces of possible relations between Indoeuropean and Afroasiatic languages.
Schousboe: Teaching Historical Linguistics
- For educators- a course curriculum designed for a one-semester course.
Sergei Starostin's Etymological Databases
- Currently comprise North Caucasian, Sino-Tibetan, Yenisseian, Altaic, Chukchee-Kamchatkan, Dravidian, and (partly) Semitic (proto-) languages. With reconstructed protoforms (including intermediary) and the attested forms in daughter tongues for each etymon. Downloadable, searchable. Need special fonts, also available onsite.
Take Our Word for It
- Weekly etymology magazine.
The Boy Who Followed the Moon
- A fairy tale designed to demonstrate Grimm's law.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor