Periods and Cultures
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Ancient Mesoamerican Civilizations
- Information on the writing systems, government and religions of the Maya, Mixtec, Zapotec, and Aztec, by Kevin L. Callahan, University of Minnesota, with references and links.
Archeological Sites Mesoamerica
- Joseph Sneed of the Colorado School of Mines provides information about selected archaeological sites relevant to a course on technology, environment and human adaptation in pre-european Mesoamerica.
Chronological Table of Mesoamerican Archaeology
- D.K. Jordan's provisional chronology designed to accompany Michael D. Coe's books The Maya (1999) and Mexico (1994), on which it is largely based.
Debunking the Pyramids
- The pyramids of Egypt and Mesoamerica are related, right? This paper dispells myths regarding hyperdiffusionism and the pyramids, focusing on the dissimilarities of Mesoamerican and Egyptian pyramids.
- Facts and artifacts relative to Mayan archaeology, prehispanic pyramid architecture, Latin America, Mesoamerica, featuring Olmec jade, stelae and sculpture at Copan, and showing how pre-Columbian art can be reproduced aided by new digital technology.
MesoAmerican, South American and Caribbean Culture Area
- A bibliography from the Smithsonian Institution, Anthropology Outreach Office.
- A student's personal collection of photographs from Northern Central American sites. Include Copán, Panajachél, Tikál, Zuníl, Mayan ruins, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Palenque, Belize virtual tour.
Mesoamerica Web Ring by James Q. Jacobs
- Photo galleries of Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Palenque, Izapa and artifacts. Mesoamerican archaeoastronomy.
Mesoamerican Photo Archives
- Full-color photographs of archaeological sites and museums from all over Mexico with detailed captions.
Mesoamerican Studies at Vienna University
- Gives a definition and the characteristics and chronology of Mesoamerica culture, a bibliography and links.
Mesoamerican Themes and Chaco Canyon
- An essay with references by F. J. Mathien on archeological links between the native cultures of North and Central America. Part of a virtual conference on Chaco by the University of Colorado.
- A large collection of articles and resources on Mesoamerica and its cultures, primarily Maya, Aztec and Olmec, maintained by Joel Skidmore. Includes an illustrated encyclopedia of Mesoamerica.
Search For the Lost Cave People
- NOVA Online follows an international group of archaeologists into the Chiapas region of Mexico to search for the remains of the Zoque civilization that preceded the Maya.
South and MesoAmerican Archeology
- CyberPursuits lists related links.
The Aztec, Maya and Inca Collections
- A brief description of this section of the anthropology collections of the Field Museum, Chicago.
The Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies
- Fosters increased understanding of ancient Mesoamerican cultures. Photographic archives of Justin Kerr and the technical drawing archives of Linda Schele and John Montgomery. Grant information and bibliography.
The Foundation of Latin American Anthropological Research
- Provides information about archaeology, art and architecture of the ancient Maya and other pre-Columbian cultures; photographic archive; travel; book service; and photography and imaging.
Xunantunich Archeological Project
- Description of this archaeological site along with explanations of their research findings.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor