Periods and Cultures
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
- Cemeteries database drawn mainly from central and central southern England, compiled as part of a PhD thesis, is provided by Jeremy Huggett of Glasgow University.
Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Eriswell, Suffolk
- Interim report on the excavation by Suffolk County Council of a large cemetery at RAF Lakenheath. 'Early Anglo-Saxon Suffolk' with bibliography; image galleries including X-rays.
- Trent and Peak Archaeological Trust has created a site database searchable by using an image-map showing the distribution of sites or by a text-based index. Bibliography.
Anglo-Saxon House Build Project
- An opportunity to learn historical skills from leading experts and recreate an authentic Saxon homestead. Two weeks in summer 2001 in Buckinghamshire.
Anglo-Saxon Studies in Archaeology and History
- Annual journal concerned with the archaeology and history of England and its neighbours during the Anglo-Saxon period published by Oxford University Committee for Archaeology.
Anglo-Saxon and Viking Yorkshire
- Interim report 1996 on excavations of an Anglian and Anglo-Scandinavian settlement at Cottam, directed by Dr Julian Richards for the Archaeology Department, York University.
Archaeologists Take the Wraps off Lady Godiva
- The Telegraph reports that archaeologists have reconstructed what could be a glass portrait of Lady Godiva.
Excavation on Roundway Down, North Wiltshire
- Sarah Semple and Howard Williams describe the search by Trinity College Carmarthen for a high-status female Anglo-Saxon barrow burial, with illustrations and bibliography.
Map of Anglo-Saxon England
- Matthew White shows the kingdoms c.860 and major sites. From the Old English Pages.
Old Ruins, New World
- Article by Tim Eaton in British Archaeology on the way in which abandoned Roman sites in Britain were plundered for stone by Anglo-Saxon church builders.
Suffolk Site Throws up New Treasures
- BBC News announces that an Anglo-Saxon cemetery has been uncovered during an archaeological dig at Sutton Hoo, where a wooden ship and treasure were discovered in 1939.
Sutton Hoo, Suffolk
- Online tour of the famed Anglo-Saxon royal cemetery, courtesy of The Sutton Hoo Society: interactive map brings up information of features of the site. Visitor information.
The Discovery of Anglo-Saxon Architecture
- An article from the Ecclesiological Society about the work of Thomas Rickman - the first to recognise the Anglo-Saxon style of architecture.
West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village
- Illustrated guide from Bury St Edmunds and Beyond to the reconstructed village on a site excavated at West Stow.
Whitby Abbey Headland Project
- English Heritage study of the 7th or 8th-century Southern Anglian enclosure. Location maps; history of the abbey; bibliography; illustrated excavation design and progress reports.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor