Submit a site
Floods and Floodplains
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A River Runs Through It: The Grassroots Take on General Electric in the Battle To Clean Up the Hudson
- Article from E Magazine on how citizen power is helping to force a clean up polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) from the Hudson River.
About Rivers and Dams
- Collection of introductory articles and resources from the International Rivers Network. Includes short history of rivers, what dams are and what they do, why free-flowing rivers are important, and an introduction to watersheds. Also in French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Alternative Stream Research - a Photo Study
- Sample photos of stream projects in the US (currently 170), some arranged by projects and others by topics, plus a large collection of links to other websites with photos of stream projects.
American Heritage Rivers initiative
- Program to protect and restore America's rivers and their watersheds. Includes information to help local communities become involved in river projects.
American River Watershed Group
- An affiliation of interested groups and private landowners, as well as government agencies committed to enhancing and maintaining the health of the American River watershed.
- Non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and restoring America's rivers. Includes river campaigns, actions you can take, and a list of rivers and groups campaigning to protect them.
Applied Fluvial Geomorphology Field Camp
- Short description of the field camp held by 26 geology students in July 1999. Includes details of how the camp was organized, what its objectives were, photographs, and acknowledgements.
Australian Conservation Foundation: Rivers and Water Campaign
- ACF's Healthy Rivers and Waters campaign aims to improve the quality of rivers and return them to their natural state. Includes information about restoring the Murray Darling and Snowy rivers and campaigns against dams in Australia.
Berry Healthy Rivers Swim
- Coverage of Tammy Van Wisses's marathon swim along the Murray River in support of the Australian Conservation Foundation's Healthy Rivers project. Includes clickable map of the main environmental issues confronting the Murray Darling Rivers.
Bottled Water Consumption Soars As State of Rivers Declines
- Press release from WWF, the conservation organization, arguing that better management of inland water sources is preferable to greater consumption of bottled water.
Brazil's Indigenous People Resist Large River Modifications
- ENS news report about leaders of indigenous peoples in Brazil gathering to discuss the impacts of large development projects on the region.
Brazilian Tribes Condemn Araguaia-Tocantins Waterway
- Environment News Service (ENS) story reporting opposition from indigenous peoples in Brazil to the deepening and widening of three rivers in the Amazon to make a new transportation network.
Bring Back the Don River - Toronto
- Community groups working to revitalize the Don River watershed, Toronto, by planting trees, creating wetlands, educating the public and creating places to visit. Includes maps, pictures, a comprehensive FAQ, and details of how to get involved.
British Columbia (BC) and Yukon River Levels
- Real time river level information in British Columbia and Yukon Territory, from Environment Canada.
British Rivers in Dire Straits
- Article from BBC News UK that describes how global warming may be affecting the quality of British rivers.
Buffalo River Stewardship Foundation
- Organization dedicated to protecting the quality of the Buffalo River through projects such as "adopt-a-river", partnerships with farmers, and the purchase of land. Site includes newsletters, reports, photographs, and links.
Credit Valley Conservation
- A community-based organization responsible for managing the Credit River watershed, Ontario. Site includes news, events, fishing facts, water backgrounder, and details of how to help out as a volunteer.
Danube Restoration Plan Takes Flight at Summit
- The Danube river is the subject of a new agreement on environmental protection and sustainable development following a two day summit organized by the Romanian government and the conservation organization WWF. News story from ENS.
Death of a river
- BBC UK News article describing how the entire eco-system of Hungary's Tisza river was wiped out in what was said to be the worst environmental disaster to hit the region since Chernobyl.
Des Plaines River Watershed Alliance Links
- Web links related to improving the health of rivers and their communities.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor