Science and Environment
Submit a site
National Undersea Research Center
New London County
Marine Sciences and Technology Center
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Beach Watch: Connecticut
- Beach-specific information such as water quality, advisories and closings. Provided by the National Health Protection Survey of Beaches office of the EPA.
Connecticut Coastal Embayments
- Summary of project which identified degradation of salt marshes as a result of tidal flow restrictions caused by transportation facilities.
Connecticut Coastal Salt Marsh Studies
- Summary of technical analysis project of all eastern Connecticut salt marshes which resulted in numerous sites being recommended for restoration.
Connecticut Lakes and Ponds
- Program by the state's Department of Environmental Protection to acquire data on water depth, quality, aquatic vegetation and bottom materials for the lakes and ponds for which the State has management and recreational responsibilities.
Crossing the Connecticut
- Essay by Charles M. Pickett on the interesting sights to be found when crossing the various bridges spanning the Connecticut River.
Human Impacts on Tidal Wetlands
- Extensive look at the history and evolution of the state's tidal wetlands, by Ron Rozsa, Ecologist, Office of Long Island Sound Programs, Connecticut DEP.
International Rivers Network: Connecticut
- List of Connecticut River organizations, in zip code order.
MDC Environmental Services
- Information on water pollution control, maintenance of the Connecticut River, hydroelectric facilities and management of the municipal watershed.
Mansfield Hollow Lake
- Ecological and recreational information from the Connecticut DEP on lake also known as Naubesatuck Lake, which straddles the towns of Mansfield in Tolland County, and Windham in Windham County.
- EPA/UConn project provides real-time water quality monitoring data from Long Island Sound in order to enhance the appreciation, knowledge and use of The Sound.
Quinnipiac River Watershed Association
- Organization dedicated to the preservation of the Quinnipiac River, which originates in the ridges of Farmington and Plainville, and flows to its estuary in New Haven on Long Island Sound. Maps, photos, events calendar, programs and membership information.
Rivers Alliance of Connecticut
- Statewide coalition of river organizations and individuals formed to protect and enhance the state's rivers by promoting sound river and watershed policies.
Save the Sound, Inc.
- Nonprofit membership organization dedicated to the restoration, protection and appreciation of Long Island Sound and its watershed.
- Promotes the protection and enhancement of the biological, physical and chemical integrity of Long Island Sound and its watershed. Information on programs, geological history, weather, tides, fishing and boating, and membership.
Surf Your Watershed: Connecticut
- Environmental profile, including water quality, beach monitoring sites, stream gauging stations, real-time water data, fact sheets and other information for the state's watersheds. Also provides interactive map which provides further information on local watersheds.
The Long Island Sound Foundation
- Organization which promotes awareness and environmentally-sound practices to preserve the Sound. Events calendar, mission statement, publications, resources and links.
Tide Chart Index Connecticut Coast East
- Covering Stonington to New Haven.
Tide Chart Index Connecticut Coast West
- Covering New Haven to Greenwich.
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Contact information for the governing body which oversees the Connecticut River and Long Island Sound ecosystems.
U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources Division
- Earth science agency which provides hydrologic information and appraises water resources for the government.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor