Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Association of Heritage Interpretation
- The UK forum for professionals, students and others concerned with heritage interpretation. News, events, awards, journal 'Interpretation' (contents lists and selected articles online.)
British Heritage Online
- Online resource from the magazine with information on British and Irish travel, events, tours, culture and destinations.
Centre for the Historic Environment
- At the University of Bristol aims to develop teaching and research in the study and management of historic environments. Offers postgraduate courses in Architectural Conservation.
Doors Open Days
- Your chance to see inside some of Scotland's most interesting buildings, competely free of charge, throughout September each year.
European Heritage Days
- Cultural and historic sites open to the public free in Wales, Scotland, England, London and Northern Ireland on certain days in September each year. Events programmes.
Historic Environment Information Resources Network
- The Council for British Archaeology's Internet register of organisations with information systems within archaeology and the historic environment in the United Kingdom.
Induni's Building Conservation
- Bruce Induni provides details of a MSc in Architectural Materials Conservation at Bournemouth University, and offers consultancy on the use of lime and earth. Discussion forum.
Institute of Historic Building Conservation
- The professional institute which represents conservation professionals in the public and private sectors in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Local Heritage Initiative
- A grant scheme that helps local groups in England to investigate, explain and care for their local landscape, landmarks, traditions and culture. How to apply for a grant and examples of projects.
London's Blue Plaques
- Hundreds of famous people like Shakespeare, Dickens, and Darwin have lived in London. Their former addresses are marked by a blue plaque. Searchable database.
The Defence of Britain Project
- Volunteers under the wing of the Council for British Archaeology aim to make a complete record of 20th-century military structures and sites. Two newsletters on-line.
The International Centre for Cultural and Heritage Studies
- Based at Newcastle University, it offers MAs in Museum Studies, Gallery Studies, and Heritage Education and Interpretation. Course details, staff.
The Ironbridge Institute
- Postgraduate courses in heritage management and industrial heritage.
UK Heritage Railways
- A guide to all steam railways, preserved locomotives, preservation societies and railway museums in the UK.
United Kingdom Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
- The representative body for professional conservators and restorers in private and institutional practice in the UK.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor