Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Scottish Site Directory
- A series of one page articles on various aspects of Scottish History by J.K. Gillon.
Scotweb's Scottish History Magazine
- Covering the history of Scotland, touching lightly on the pre-history, in detail through the late medieval period, and beyond.
Society of West Highland & Island Historical Research
- Non-profit organisation, based in the Hebrides, committed to promoting historical research into the Highlands & Islands of Scotland.
Soft Toy Lion's "Lion Rampant" pages
- Various original works outlining Scotland's culture and heritage.
Statistical Accounts of Scotland
- Contemporary accounts of the economic and social state of Scotland around the time of the Industrial Revolution. This web service provides free access to page images of the Accounts.
Stone Circles in Angus and Perthshire
- Stone circles and other megalithic sites in the counties of Angus and Perthshire, Scotland.
Stones of Scotland
- List all the prehistoric standing stones, burial mounds and other ancient landmarks in Scotland, along with photoraphs in both low and high resolution, locations with Ordanance Survey map refernces. Also states if access is suitable or not for the disabled.
The Carnegie Story
- Short history detailing the life of Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish born philanthropist, who made his fortune in the steel industry of 19th century America.
The Castle Pages
- Images of Scotland's castles and other historic remains.
The Highland Clearances
- A site dedicated to the remembrance of the massive evictions of residents in Scotland's Highlands and Islands during the 18th and 19th centuries -- and today.
The History of the Orkney Isles
- Includes a timeline of Orkney history, a list of historical sites and details of characters in the history of the Orkneys.
The History of the Scots, Picts and Britons
- Comprehensive and academic site covering the ancient peoples of Scotland, by David F. Dale.
The Massacre of Glencoe
- "You are hereby ordered to fall upon the rebels, the McDonalds of Glencoe, and put all to the sword under seventy." The true story of a massacre still remembered today.
The National Trust for Scotland
- The conservation charity that protects and promotes Scotland's natural and cultural heritage for present and future generations to enjoy.
The Roman Gask Project
- A long term programme to study the Roman Frontier works on and around the Gask Ridge in Perthshire, Scotland. Includes detailed maps of the sites involved.
The Scot Wars
- Covers wars in Scotland from the 13th to the 18th century. Battles, fortresses and palaces, monarchy and re-enactment.
The Society of Border Reivers
- A society dedicated to the study of the 'border reivers' and 'riding surnames' of the 16th century Anglo-Scottish border.
The Society of High Constables of Edinburgh
- An introduction to The Society of High Constables of Edinburgh including a brief history.
The World of Mary, Queen of Scots
- The official site of the Marie Stuart Society. Comprehensive resource on Mary, Queen of Scots.
United Scottish Clans of America
- Covers Scotland's colourful history, including William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, Scotland's oppression by England.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor