Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
ACCORD - African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes
- ACCORD is a South African-based organisation involved in Conflict Resolution, Peacekeeping and Preventive Diplomacy throughout the continent of Africa.
ANC Historical Documents Archive
- Massive resource including political biographies, documents, photographs, books, speeches of political leaders, and spanning the international solidarity movement.
Cato Manor Development Project
- The Cato Manor project has achieved world-wide acclaim from development specialists as a model for integrated development.
Chapter 2 Network - Advocacy for Change
- Supports civil society organisations involved in advocacy for social justice.
Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU)
- With 1.9 million members, COSATU is the principal federation of South African trade unions. COSATU is aligned with the ANC and the South African Communist Party.
Freedom of Expression Institute
- Campaigns to repeal or amend laws inhibiting freedom of expression and association. FXI seeks to educate and mobilise the public to resist any encroachments on their rights to receive and impart information, ideas and opinion.
Harold Wolpe Forum
- Site named after an important political theorist/sociologist - Harold Wolpe. Aims to be a discussion forum. Contains details of forthcoming meetings and other information.
- IDASA is an independent non-profit public interest organisation promoting democracy in South Africa. Subscribe here to ePoliticsSA - a fortnightly political digest.
National Economic Development & Labour Council
- Representative and consensus-seeking body acting to reach agreement through negotiation and discussion involving organised labour, government, organised business and the community
Nelson Mandela Tribute Page
- Excellent Flash Animation site presenting Nelson Mandela's words and deeds.
Parliament of South Africa
- Provides information on developments at the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa for the purpose of facilitating public participation in parliamentary legislative processes. This is an excellent site that gives comprehensive information about the parliamentary process in South Africa and the information that an informed citizenry needs.
Parliamentary Monitoring Group
- Monitors the committees of the Parliament of South Africa: provides reports on what is discussed plus documents handed out at meetings
Political Resources on the Net - South Africa
- Index of South African political sites available on the Internet, with links to Parties, Organizations, Governments and Media
- A Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation website. ReCONCILIATION NeT is a website dedicated to the study and practice of dealing with the past in countries in transition. It has a specific focus on reconciliation, transitional justice, structures for dealing with the past (such as truth commissions and commissions of enquiry), as well as including a focus on victims or survivors needs after large-scale political violence. Contains papers, documents, reports, bibliography, and a mailing list.
- South African NGO network. Important site containing political resources on human rights, housing, the environment, women, health etc.
SARA: A journey through resistance art in South Africa
- Four contemporary artists, and how each one depicted the struggle to free the country of Apartheid through artistic expressions in a different way. Jane Alexander, Willie Bester, Jonathan Comerford and Helen Sebidi.
South African Human Rights Commission
South African Institute of Race Relations
- Commentary on topical issues. Some publications and articles are free to read; some require membership. Race Relations Survey details developments in housing, education, politics, land distribution, labour, health and welfare, business and crime
Steve Biko Memorial
- Memorial page for Steve Biko, the principal figure of the black consciousness movement. Contains articles, reports, TRC findings and images.
- Transparency International, South Africa - A network for socio-economic justice, against corruption.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor