Society and Culture
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
- APC-Africa-Women gathers and works together with women and women's organizations in Africa and all over the world, focusing on African women's empowerment through Information Facilitation, Regional Support, Policy and Advocacy, Training and Research in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs).
Abantu For Development
- A non-governmental organisation founded in 1991 by women, for the purpose of harnessing resources to the benefit of African people. Abantu means "people" in many languages, and symbolizes our people-centred philosophy. The main focus of our work is on training, providing information and advice on mobilising resources towards sustainable development in Africa.
Africa News Online - Women and Gender Issues
- Links to current news from around the continent.
African Gender Institute
- Building intellectual capacity and establishing an African resource dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of intellectuals, researchers, policy-makers and practitioners committed to the attainment of gender equity.
African Women's Bibliographic Database
- An English language database containing over 19,000 citations from 1986 to current.
African Women's Media Center
- The AWMC provides African women journalists the training, resources and tools they need to compete equally with their male colleagues. The AWMC site provides training, opportunities for networking and education, and resources by and about African women journalists.
FAWE - Forum for African Women Educationalists
- A membership organization that brings together African women ministers in charge of national education systems, women vice chancellors of universities and other senior women policy makers in education in Africa.
- The African Women's Development and Communication Network.
Flame Zimbabwe 1996
- Official site with plot and character information.
- Flamme is a network of African sisters online committed to strengthening the capacity of women through the use of ICTs to lobby, advocate and participate in the Beijing +5 process regionally and globally.
GAIN: Gender in Africa Information Network
- The network encourages participation of documentalists, activists, researchers, journalists, etc who have an interest and commitment to gender related issues in Africa and the dissemination of information.
Gender and the Information Revolution in Africa
- Information is universally acknowledged to be a lynchpin of sustainable and equitable development. In Africa, however, access to information is limited, and especially so for rural women. The new information and communication technologies (ICTs), centred mostly on the Internet, provide potential to redress this imbalance. Edited by Eva M. Rathgeber and Edith Ofwona Adera. The entire text is online.
Jenda: Journal of Culture and African Women Studies
- EJournal devoted to the promotion of the research and scholarship of African women to the global African community and friends of Africa.
- Mama Africa - six short films by African women, each from a different country and perspective.
Strategic Action Issue Area: African Women's Rights
- Links to online documents.
West Africa Review: Special Issue on Gender
- Peer-reviewed papers and reviews on women and gender in Africa. (August 2000)
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor