Library and Information Science
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Censorship in a Box
- American Civil Liberties Union White Paper subtitled 'Why Blocking Software is Wrong for Public Libraries'. "This special report ... provides an in depth look at why mandatory blocking software is both inappropriate and unconstitutional in libraries. [It does] not evaluate any particular product, but rather seek[s] to demonstrate how all blocking software censors valuable speech and gives librarians, educators and parents a false sense of security when providing minors with Internet access."
- Comprehensive look at the issue of Internet filtering in public libraries. Advocates filtering as part of a library's responsibility to its community.
Filtering the Internet in American Public Libraries: Sliding Down the Slippery Slope
- Essay by Jeannette Allis Bastian. "The use of filters to block those Internet sites that some public libraries and/or communities deem undesirable has caused an uproar within the profession as various viewpoints vie for ascendancy. The author examines positions taken by the American Library Association and others and reviews the choices and consequences of various filtering products. She concludes that libraries must retain responsibility for their offerings but also protect First Amendment rights."
Sensorware and Filtering in Libraries
- A web site dedicated to explaining why censorware and filtering software does not belong in our public libraries.
St Bernard Software
- Offers Iprism which provides internet filtering.
The Internet Filter Assessment Project
- A comprehensive study and report on the effectiveness of internet filtering software performed in 1997 by librarian and author Karen Schneider.
- Provides excerpts from U.S. Supreme Court opinions, references to research, and commentary about the constitutionality of filtering in libraries.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor