Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A Word with You
- A daily on-line column, featuring little known facts about well known words and phrases.
American Dialect Society
- A scholarly association dedicated to the study of the English language in North America.
An Etymological Dictionary of Classical Mythology
- The influence of classical mythology on the English language, astronomy, calendar terms, personal names, phrases and conversation, and pop culture.
Behind the Name
- The etymology and history of first names.
Books about Etymology
- Recommended by fun-with-words.com.
- The etymology of butterfly, moth and caterpillar in several languages.
Curiosities of Biological Taxonomy
- Etymologies, puns and funny sounds, wordplay, and more in taxonomy.
Dave Wilton's Etymology Page
- Devoted to etymology of common words and slang phrases.
- The brain-twisting etymology game.
- A list of some curious word origins.
- Word origins and links.
Etymology : The Science of Word Histories.
- Contains several interesting and intriguing word histories.
Focusing on Words
- An advanced Latin-Greek-English vocabulary source of etymologies with thematic units of roots, prefixes, and suffixes, and vocabulary quizzes.
Fun With Word Origins
- Samples of the etymological books from word-lover Martha Barnette, author of "Ladyfingers & Nun's Tummies" and "A Garden of Words."
- Compilation of terms which first appeared in literature. Also includes a short list of words which failed to become part of the English vernacular.
- Play (on-line) Moot the critically acclaimed Canadian board-game that tests your knowledge of the English language.
Nautical Expressions in the Vernacular
- Myriad expressions in everyday English have nautical origins. This web page lists expressions and definitions mentioned by listswains, members of the Patrick O'Brian Mailing List, also known as the Gunroom.
New Words In English
- Neologisms and novel uses of words in English collected by members of the class Linguistics/English 215, Words in English: Structure, History and Use, taught by Suzanne Kemmer at Rice University.
New York State Facts
- The origins of New York State's county names.
Origin of Phrases
- Categorized etymologies of phrases.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor