Analysis and Opinion
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A New Years's Resolution For The Right
- Conservative commentators Brent Bozell and Michael Medved contend that a challenge for the right is overcoming the fact that television's emotional nature inherently favors liberals rather than the logic of conservatism.
Ben Bagdikian Interview
- Interview with media analyst about effect of corporate media ownership, using tobacco issue as example. From PBS Frontline.
Bloodbath in the District of Columbia
- An essay from UnquietMind.com about the destructiveness of the Washington scandal culture.
Chris's News and Views
- Media analysis and criticism from a former TV news anchor, reporter and meteorologist. Also includes links to media research groups and organizations committed to creating a more democratic, citzen-based media environment.
Consent, American Style
- Analysis and commentary by Steve Mizrach about manipulation of the public through the media. Based on views of Michael Parenti, Noam Chomsky, and Ben Bagdikian.
Hold On to Your Phone Bill -- It's Merger Time
- Commentary on lack of FCC concern about the effects of consolidation of telephone and broadcasting services on consumer interests and democracy. From Mother Jones.
- Article that critcizes the effect of commercial corporate media on society, and that calls for reform that brings diversity of ownership and access. By Robert McChesney from The Boston Review.
Meditations on Media -- Jane W. Prettyman
- An independent critique of commercial media's effects on democracy and society by editor of the Real News Pages website.
Necessary Illusions -- Online Book by Noam Chmosky
- Commentaries contend the "free press" serves the needs of those in power, rather than free speech and democracy.
Proposal for the Public Media
- Article proposing voluntary tax check-off to fund non-corporate, public service media. From Fear and Favor website. By Randy Baker.
Tabloids, Talk Radio, and the Future of News
- Technology's Impact on Journalism by Annenberg Senior Fellow Ellen Hume
The End of Public Television? The Trouble with Teletubbies
- Article critical of PBS as having lost its public service mandate because of its reliance on corporate funding. Uses children's programming as an example. By Susan E. Linn and Alvin F. Poussaint from The American Prospect.
The Television Thing
- This article summarizes The Sound Bite Society, a study of television and ideology. (Dissent Summer 1995) By Jeffery Scheuer
- Commentary contending that liberals aren't as visible and efffective on TV talk shows as conservatives, because of the complexity of liberal positions. Joshua Micah Marshall, The American Prospect
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor