Business and Economy
Mergers and Monopolies
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A Policy Maker's Guide to Deregulating Telecommunications
- Analysis by conservative Heritage Foundation, which contends the FCC should cease regulating and allow the free market to determine use of the broadcast and electromatic spectrum.
Capitalist Media Monopoly? Think Again
- Article by conservative columnist Brent Bozell contending that liberal fears of corporate control of media is a myth. 09/07/1995
Chicago Tribune -- Jackson Warns About Dangers of Big Media
- Article about Jesse Jackson's campaign against media monopolies.
Chicago Tribune -- Village Voice May Enter Fold of a Media Giant
- Article about the trend towards acquisition of independent alternative newspapers by big media corporations, citing planned sale of Village Voice.
Corporate Ownership of the Media
- Articles and commentaries critical of corporate media dominance from FAIR.
Double the dumb
- Critique of the shallowness of news coverage of media mergers and social implications of concentrated ownership. By Norman Solomon, Media Beat columnist.
How the News Media Covered a Media Merger
- Analysis uses media coverage of Time-Warner merger to illustrate how consolidation of corporate ownership limits and distorts news coverage. Christopher Pieper and Kristen Hughes at U. Texas at Austin Graduate School of Journalism. (From The Real News Pages.)
- Article that criticizes the influence of industry money and lack of public interest considerations in the adoption of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. (From In These Times.)
Internet Part Of The Media Continuum
- Explanation from investment point of view of how mergers between offline and online media companies are logical.
Lessons From J.P. Morgan
- Commentary from Industry Standard by James Fallows on the parallels of the modern era of media empires and barons with the business empires built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Media Concentration in the United States -- Industry Trends and Regulatory Responses
- Analysis of industry and technological changes in communications media, and the challenge of finding appropriate regulatory roles. By Eli M. Noam
- Report on media conglomeration written by media consultant Andrew Walter. (1997)
Media Mergers -- Atlantic Monthly Flashback
- A look back at the early days of corporate control and consolidation of media ownership. A compilation of three late 1960's articles warning about the trend. From Atlantic Monthly archives.
Media Monopoly by Ben Bagdikian
- Excerpts from book critical of concentration of ownership of media.
Nader on Media and Corporate Power
- Interview with Ralph Nader, in which he contends public owns the airwaves, and they should not be controlled by a few corporations. (1995)
Nicholas Johnson on Media Monopoly
- Interview with former FCC Commissioner and author of "How to Talk Back to Your Television" about possible implications of media monopolies. (1995)
World Socialist Website -- Monopolies Tighten Grip on the Media
- Article critical of media monopolies and lack of news coverage and public debate about them. (Sept.11,1999)
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor