Public Health and Safety
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
'A Year of Achievements, A Century of Progress'
- HHS Press Office: a fact sheet of important progress in improving the health and welfare of all Americans. 12/31/99
50 Years of Health in America
- Prevention magazine looks at notable medical and cultural milestones in American health during the past 5 decades from discovering DNA to using it to clone farm animals.
50 Years of International Public Health
- Articles of the World Health Organization's contributions to Public Health over the past 50 years.
American History Sweatshop Exhibition
- A pictorial tour of sweatshops from 1820 to the present. From the National Museum of American History Smithsonian Institution.
Andrew Balfour of Khartoum
- The career of this pioneer of tropical medicine. Vintage photographs and links are also included.
Benjamin Rush and Yellow Fever
- An on-line history of Dr. Benjamin Rush's efforts to fight yellow fever in America in the 1790s, by Bob Arnebeck, with documents from the period.
Bulletin of the History of Medicine
- Official publication of the American Association for the History of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins Institute of the History of Medicine. Sample issue and table of contents only. Full text requires subscription to Project Muse.
CDC Public Health Image Library - PHIL
- An extensive collection of still images, image sets, and multimedia files related to public health.
Dr. Joseph Goldberger and the War on Pellagra
- An essay on a pioneer in Public Health. Authored by Alan Kraut, Ph.D., Professor of History, American University.
History of the Health Sciences Section
- Section of the Medical Library Association supporting interest in the history of health sciences. Includes section of links to many health history sites.
How the Other Half Lives
- Studies of the Tenements of New York, by Jacob A. Riis, originally published in 1890. The Hypertext Edition, with illustrations, presented by American Studies at Yale.
Images From the History of the Public Health Service
- An online version of Images from the History of the Public Health Service; A Photographic Exhibit by Ramunas Kondratas, Ph.D. printed in 1994 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Public Health Service.
International Network for the History of Public Health
- Supported by the European Association for the History of Medicine and Health and cooperates with other institutions and foundations to promote the study of the history of public health.
John Snow and Cholera
- The life and times of Dr. John Snow (1813-1858), a legendary figure in the history of public health, epidemiology and anesthesiology. From the Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health.
National Museum of Health and Medicine
- Located in Washington D.C. with online exhibits and schedule of events. Learn the history of medicine and experience the extraodinary.
Our Modern Plague
- Part of Emory University's Great Teachers Lecture Series: James Curran, RSPH, Public Health Dean. Magazine June 12, 1997.
Plague and Public Health in Renaissance Europe
- A hypertext archive of narratives, medical consilia, governmental records, religious and spiritual writings and images documenting the arrival, impact and response to the problem of epidemic disease in Western Europe between 1348 and 1530.
Preventive Medicine and Public Health
- Views of "The DALY Concept", Authored by Dr. William H. Foege, MD, MPH, Journal of the American Medical Association, June 1, 1994.
Profiles in Public Health
- From the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD.
The Public Health Museum in Massachusetts
- Extensive exhibit information and photographs about public health in Massachusetts.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor