Conditions and Diseases
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Bones and Soft Tissue
- Section of an online medical/pathology text book by Dr. Ed Friedlander. Buried in here are some comments on Dercum's Disease (search for "dercum" to find them).
Brorson/Fagher Article on Dercum's Disease or Adiposis Dolorosa
- This is an excellent overview article on the disease characterized by painful lipomas (benign fatty tumors). Note that the first part of the article, however, is a biography of Dr. Dercum.
Cancer: Causes and Effects
- Chapter from Dr. Ed Friedlander's online textbook. Adiposis Dolorosa (Dercum's Disease) is mentioned (search for "adiposis"). Even though the lipomas (tumors) are benign, they can cause problems just by being, and he lists a number of examples.
Corticosteroid-Induced Juxta-articular Adiposis Dolorosa
- This article discusses a case of Dercum's Disease in the knee that was apparently caused by corticosteroid usage.
DOIA - Adipositas Dolorosa
- The DOIA, or Dermatological Online Image Atlas, is a listing of images relating to skin diseases. They do not have any pictures of Dercum's Disease, but they do ask for sufferers to fill out a questionnaire at the bottom of this page (the form doesn't always work properly, so save your answers elsewhere).
Dercum Disease (NORD article)
- A discussion about this rare disorder (aka Dercum's Disease, Adiposis Dolorosa), characterized by pressure of fatty deposits on nerves, resulting in weakness and pain. Some resources are listed for further study. This entry is provided by NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders).
Dercum's Disease (Swedish Site)
- An English page of a Swedish website containing a description of what this disease is, along with symptoms, diagnosis, types of pallative treatments and a summary.
Dercum's Disease, also known as Adiposis Dolorosa
- Symptoms, personal stories, and research that has been done in the study of Dercum's Disease. Includes a medical article describing the disease and references to scores of other articles. Chat room on Tuesday evenings.
Dermatologic Diseases and Problems of Women Throughout the Life Cycle
- Article by Brenner and Politi on women's dermatological problems from the International Journal of Dermatology. There is a section on Dercum's Disease toward the end of the article.
Emerging Worlds, Dercum's Disease page
- The site explores the possibility that chronic diseases are caused by stealth viruses, and that Dercum's Disease fits in that category. This page descibes Dercum's Disease.
Familial Multiple Lipomas
- This is a doctor's page where he discusses some diseases associated with lipomas. He is a cancer doctor and does not consider Dercum's disease fatal. His description appears not to based on first hand experience.
Lipomas, Lipomatosis, and Certain Clinical Types of Abnormal Fat Deposit
- This is an older article (1974) that has a section describing the Adiposis Dolorosa (Dercum's Disease or Dercum Syndrome), as well as other diseases affecting the fatty deposits.
National Library of Medicine PubMed References
- This is a listing of the references to Dercum's Disease culled from Medline, the National Library of Medicine data base. (aka Dercum Syndrome, Adiposis Dolorosa)
- A description of one individual's long struggle to identify the disease, in the form of painful fatty tumors, that was wracking her body -- Dercum's Disease.
OMIM Entry for Adiposis Dolorosa (Dercum's Disease)
- This OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man) site uses some very limited research (2 papers dealing with 3 families) to conclude that this may be an inherited illness.
Yahoo! Groups : dercums_disease
- This is a group discussion area for those with dercum's disease, and provides a means of sharing experiences and ideas.
Your Family Health History
- This discusses the types of items that are important in a family health history. A mention is made of Dercum's Disease (with a brief description) and its classification as possibly an inherited disease. (aka Dercum Syndrome, Adiposis Dolorosa)
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor