Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
- Thanks to a (previously) little-known company called "Digital Convergence," we now have our latest attack on the right to program. [Linux Weekly News]
A scanner darkly
- Can Wired's CueCat giveaway turn us into a nation of bar-code-reading clerks? [Salon.com]
Barcode Maker Responds After Forcing Drivers Offline
- Digital Convergence responds to the flak that they've taken after demanding that several developers take drivers offline that work with their "CueCat" barcode reader. [Slashdot]
Beware Greeks bearing gifts
- It takes two to tango, but only one to make an 'agreement' - according to the makers of a 'free' gadget Chris Bidmead picked up from the States. [PC Plus Magazine]
- Simple, no-frills Java driver for the CueCat scanner. [Open Source, GPL]
Cat and Mouse Games
- A little of this convergence stuff goes a long way. Face it, when media outlets as dissimilar as Parade (that magazine supplement in your Sunday newspaper) and Slashdot.org ("News for nerds. Stuff that matters.") start covering the same stories, maybe it's time to head out for Idaho. [Dr. Dobb's Journal]
CueCat At It Again
- . Michael Rothwell (the author of Foocat) wrote in to tell us that our friends at Digital Convergence are not giving up on their quest to defend their 3rd grader calibre "encryption" of their "intellectual property". [Slashdot]
CueCat Goes After Online Barcode Database
- Just noted that CueCat is going for this year's Useless Legal Action Beanie by going after www.upcdatabase.com, a site that is storing UPC codes and allows people to look them up. [Slashdot]
CueCat News, Info and Software
- News, information and Free software for the CueCat free barcode scanner. Get Linux drivers, learn how to reprogram the serial number, and more.
CueCat PAM Module for Linux
- The pam_cuecat module reads decoded bar codes from /dev/scanners/cuecat, looks up the username:barcode_type:barcode line in /etc/cuecatpasswd, and returns whether or not this user has been authenticated.
CueCat Principles of Operation
- A series of essays about CueCat operation, capabilities, and the construction of barcode Cues.
CueCat Rollout Proceeds Amid Debate
- Bar codes for Internet scanners called CueCats made their latest debut in print Sunday in The Dallas Morning News, even as the creators of this new technology grapple with concerns about privacy and ease of use. [Excite]
- Instructions for turning a CueCat into a standard barcode reader, only outputting the ASCII barcode.
Digital Convergence Changes EULA, and Gets Cracked
- Apparently Digital Convergence has changed their EULA. This EULA has been modified to include the CueCat reader in an attempt to shutdown those tinkering with their cats. [Slashdot]
- Makers of the CueCat device.
- Linux software for the CueCat.
Here's a Digit for You
- [Dallas Observer]
Killing your CueCat
- A humorous protest of Digital Convergence's CueCat product featuring satirical parodies of ads and their license agreement plus alternate uses/gratuitous destruction of the controversial barcode scanner.
Linux Drivers For Free Barcode Scanner Cease-And-D...
- On Aug. 30 several folks who have written Linux drivers and apps relating to the free barcode scanner mentioned here a few days ago were sent cease and desist orders demanding that they stop distributing the code. [Slashdot]
- Using the CueCat on Mac.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor