Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Architecture in Ancient Near East
- The University of Haifa Library presents a study of the construction of the pyramids of Egypt, in comparison with the ziggurats of Mesopotamia. Includes images, reconstructions and bibliography.
Great Pyramid of Khufu - El Giza, Egypt - Great Buildings Online
- Great Pyramid of Khufu by unknown architect, at El Giza, Egypt, -2600 to -2480, in the Great Buildings Online.
How the Egyptians Built the Pyramids
- Richard Koslowa suggests that Egyptians could have lifted heavy stones to build the pyramids by the use of counter-weights. Illustrated with diagrams.
- A study of the logistical aspects of Egyptian pyramid construction in the 25th century BC by civil engineer Peter Prevos. Includes bibliography and links to Herodotus's comments on pyramid-building.
- Writing in the journal Nature, Kate Spence shows that the orientation errors of earlier and later pyramids faithfully track the slow drift of Kochab and Mizar.
- The British Museum provides a readable, illustrated introduction to the pyramids of Ancient Egypt. Includes an interactive reconstruction of Khufu's pyramid complex.
Pyramids Without Wheels
- An illustrated article by inventor Allen Dittmer, with bibliography, from Inventors' Digest July/August 1999. He suggests that heavy blocks could have been moved with sledge and rollers.
Pyramids: The Inside Story
- NOVA Online tours the Great Pyramid in QuickTime VR, explains how the pyramids were constructed and by whom. Also covers a 1997 excavation of the bakery that fed the pyramid builders.
Solving the Puzzles of Giza
- Zahi Hawass in Egypt Revealed Magazine dismisses the myths surrounding the Great Pyramid, and outlines the genuine new discoveries.
The Construction of the Pyramids
- An illustrated guide to the construction, architecture and the evolution of the design of the pyramids from the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism.
The Giza Plateau Mapping Project
- Research on the geology and topography of the Giza plateau, construction and function of the Sphinx, Great Pyramids, associated tombs and temples, and the Old Kingdom town in the vicinity.
The Pyramid Builders
- Concise, illustrated information on the pyramids from archaeology student N. A. Fink.
- Illustrated introduction to the Step Pyramid and the Great Pyramids by Victor Shammas.
The Pyramids of Giza
- CultureFocus provides an illustrated introduction to the most famous monuments of ancient Egypt.
The Step Pyramid Complex of Djoser
- Clickable plan and images, provided by the University of Pennsylvania.
The Upuaut Project
- Computer-based study combined with robotic investigation of the shafts in the Great Pyramid of Cheops by engineer Rudolf Gantenbrink. He argues that they were not air shafts.
Who Built The Great Pyramids
- An article by David Rohl, first published in the Express, on the evidence that we have for the construction of the pyramids of Egypt, including recent discoveries by Zahi Hawass.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor