Submit a site
Western United States
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Castles in Africa
- 17th-century kings of Ethiopia created fortifications at Gondar inspired by Portuguese design. Photographs by Janice Dennie accompany text from Harry R. Atkins, 'Ethiopia: The Land of Enchantment'.
Chester: A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls
- Steve Howe of the Black and White Picture Place provides a guide around the Roman and medieval city wall. Map, modern and archival images with description and history, including quotations from primary sources.
- History, plan and visitor information for this Victorian fortress outside Plymouth, UK, from the official site. Restored and owned by the Landmark Trust.
Fort Duquesne, Pennsylvania
- Table Top Studios present their computer model of the fort c.1755 on the site of present-day Pittsburgh and explain how it was constructed from original plans.
Fort McHenry, Baltimore, United States
- Built 1794-1803 on a five-pointed star plan. Description and photographs from National Park Service Baltimore Travel Itinerary.
Fortifications of Malta
- Illustrated history of the fortifications of Valetta and nearby Fort Manoel. Geo-Cities pop-ups.
- John Bray traces the history of British fortifications from Tudor times until World War II, lists them by area with links, and lists related societies.
Fortress of Louisbourg
- The Louisbourg Institute provides history, images, bibliography and visitor information for the fortified town in Canada, whose fortifications were rebuilt in the 1960s to their state in 1744. Searchable site.
- Attractive, well-organised site from Industry Canada giving an interactive plan, history, archaeology and images of the reconstructed 18th-century fortified town.
Medieval Europe Photo Gallery
- Take a photographic trip through the medieval castles, fortresses and other historic buildings of Europe.
- Expandable thumbnail images of Aigues-Mortes, Carcassonne and Pierrefonds in France from Jeffrey Howe's Digital Archive of Architecture.
- Tim Carter describes and illustrates the types of pillbox used in Second World War defences. Images of 20th-century military architecture in the UK and Europe. Bibliography.
St. George's, Bermuda
- Photographs and brief histories of Gates Fort (1609), Fort St Catherine (1614 and 19th-century) and other buildings from Bermuda.Com.
Stephen Wyley's Fortification Pages
- Provides introductions with bibliographies to military architecture, siege warfare, castles and Anglo-Saxon burhs. Images and information on sites including Constantinople, Masada, Shiro and Ankara.
The Fortress of Neuf-Brisach, France
- Illustrated description from an exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, of the fortress town constructed 1698-1720, designed by Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban.
The Pillbox Study Group
- Introduces the most common World War 2 anti-invasion structures in the UK. Invasion history, photographs, interesting sites.
The Roman Wall of Lugo
- The City Council of Lugo describes the remarkably complete and well-preserved Roman town wall recently declared a World Heritage Site. Includes history, illustrations and bibliography.
The Ruins of Great Zimbabwe
- The Iron Age site that gave its name to modern Zimbabwe is the remains of a stone-walled town built around 1200 AD. Dennis Ramsey provides photographs and description.
Walled Towns Friendship Circle
- Includes most of the towns and cities in Europe with surviving town walls. Photographs, information.
World War 2 Pillboxes
- Photos and pictures of what remains today of World War 2 Pillboxes and Anti-Invasion Defences in the United Kingdom.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor