Science and Technology
Submit a site
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Falling Through the Net
- Released July 8, 1999 by the US Department of Commerce, a series of three reports in the Falling Through the Net series on the telecommunications and information technology gap in the United States.
From Access to Outcomes: A New Report on the Digital Divide from the Morino Institute
- Paper from the Morino Institute argues that technology is not an end by itself but should serve as a bridge to ending other types of 'social divides.'
GITA - Government Information Technology Agency - Arizona
Gates Learning Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates' Foundation to address the "digital divide". This particular foundation is currently working to give support to classroom teachers through training.
Haves, Have-Nots, and Have-to-Haves: Net Effects of the Digital Divide
- A non-profit organization dedicated to using technology and the Internet to benefit society and bridge the divide between technology haves and have-nots.
Heaven: Helping, educate, activate, volunteer & empower via the net
- A forum to exchange information and discuss policy issues to help bridge the digital divide. Trains youth for internships in aiding others with technology. NYC based.
- Article by Andy Carvin of the Benton Foundation arguing that the digital divide is the civil rights issue of the next century.
- A non-profit group that donates website design and internet hosting services to organizations dedicated to benefiting the local community or environment.
Is Myth America On-Line?" Questions of Access, Content, and Control on the Internet
- Washington State University student, Rob Cantrall's Masters Thesis on economics, equity and access.
Material from the Digital Divide Summit
- Meeting held in 1999; comments and biographies of people involved. Summaries of sessions included.
Money drives the digital divide - Jun. 20, 2000
- The rich aren't only getting richer, a new report finds they're also getting wired.
- An informational and philanthropic organization dedicated to assisting grassroots entrepreneurs and low-income youth groups in Washington, DC area.
Municipal Research & Services Center
- This site has links to groups and organization concerned with information technology and retraining urban workers, equalizing access, improving access in schools.
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) site dedicated to fostering technology growth and bridging the digital divide. Information on how to create and sustain a neighborhood network, including funding sources.
News: Report: Money, not Race, Underlies Digital Divide
- Money, not race, is a deciding factor in determining from which side of the digital divide a person will view the future, according to Jupiter Communications, Inc.
OneNetNow - Bridging the Digital Divide
- Easy to use portal community with a focus on newbies and people of color. Hosts web sites, has want ads, magazines, bulletin board, chat rooms, info on technology and society.
OneWorld.net Digital Divide Campaign
- Latest news, background on the issues, links and action on the global digital divide from the OneWorld Network of NGOs working worldwide in sustainable development and human rights.
- A non-profit organization working to bridge the digital divide by training young people to do web design. Provides economic opportunity through on-line job postings and internships. Based in San Francisco.
- East Palo Alto's community technology program
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor