Submit a site
Open Source Advocacy
Napster and mp3
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A Politics Of Intellectual Property: Environmentalism for the Net? by James Boyle
- Wordy but well-thought-out article asserting that intellectual property laws need to be reduced, and that this should be accomplished by political machination much like the environmental movement uses.
A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property"
- This primer provides a general framework for freeing any information covered under copyright and patent laws.
Against Intellectual Property
- A page comprised primarily of links to information freedom sites, including books, music, and software, from an Anarchy Home Page.
Brian Martin: Against intellectual property
- An Australian university gives a powerful case against "intellectual property" laws. Includes a long bibliography of books supporting the point.
Copyright Protection Is for Dinosaurs
- fortune.com columnist Stewart Alsop explains why patents, copyrights, and trademarks are outdated and worse than useless.
Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property
- Guide to computer ethics issues and current news includes an introduction to the problematic copyright issues raised by digital media.
Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX)
- A news and discussion site dedicated to critical analysis of the use, abuse, and relevance of IP Law. [Slash-style site]
- This group is organized to promote discussion of intellectual property laws worldwide. It is hoped that a network of interested people can come together to begin discussing a future for intellectual property law which balances the needs of people with the needs of intellectual property owners.
- A pro-IP publication devoted to intellectual property matters, including patents, trade marks, copyrights and trade secrets. Includes features, interviews, research reports and analysis, IP statistics.
Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property
- A chapter from the book Information Liberation, written by Brian Martin.
Intellectual Monopoly Laws versus Real Private Property
- A web site where the author states that intellectual monopoly laws, including copyrights and patents, hurt everyone, including authors and software producers.
Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping
- Article that proposes (with case studies) that tipping may be a viable compensation model for intellectual property (such as music and books). It works perfectly for waiters, you know.
Intellectual Property Issues
- An impressive list of links to articles concerning intellectual "property" issues, from all sides.
Intellectual Property Myths
- This document clears up some myths about intellectual property, including copyrights and patents.
Intellectual Property Rights Overview
- The W3C's take on intellectual property rights in the Information Age.
John Barlow's Arguments Against Intellectual Property Laws
- John Barlow, founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a leading internet freedom organization, explains why intellectual monopolies (copyrights and patents) do more harm than good.
Library Juice Copyright Issue
- Sept. 13 2000 issue, articles on copyright. Good access via abstracts, hyperlinked to papers. Some are academic, some are practical "how to". Not exhaustive, but a good collection on a wide variety of copyright issues.
Mid-Atlantic Infoshop - Against Intellectual Property
- A page critical of copyrights, trademarks, and intellectual property.
Negativland - Fair Use
- An essay exploring whether artists, for profit or not, have the right to freely "sample" from an already "created" electronic environment that surrounds them for use in their own work.
Proposal for a Free Unix
- A proposal from 1993 for a free unix.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor