Human Rights and Liberties
Submit a site
The Censorship Debate
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
(Low) Power to the People
- Commentary supporting the proposal to legalize low-power community radio. From Mother Jones.
Activism From Home
- Grandmothers for Peace International advocating exercise of free speech from home.
Adbusters Culture Jammers Headquarters
- Free Speech with a purpose. Adbusters sometimes can not get mainstream television to air their ads for any amount of money. Ads are contrary to commercials
- Internet Action Alert Service (IFEX) provides daily updates of world wide consequences to journalists and others whose exercise of free speech led to their arrest, imprisonment or ....
Almanac of Policy Issues: Arts and Humanities
- Background on federal policy affecting the arts and humanitites, including the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH).
Am Civil Liberties Union ~ Free Speech
- Links to issues such as book banning, electronic censorship. Excellent part of site defines "What is Free Speech?"
American based Society of Professional Journalists
- Searchable archives of the Society of Professional Journalists. When members complain, potential ethical issues are often revealed.
An Appeal to Hollywood
- Petition site that calls upon the entertainment industry to develop a voluntary code of conduct to establish minimum standards and curtail excessive violence and sexual content.
AskMen.com : Freedom of Speech in Sports
- Article on freedom of speech in professional sport. The John Rocker case.
Big Broadcasters Stomp Out Grass-roots Radio Stations
- In one of the biggest blows to free speech in U.S., Dan Gillmor explains how National Association of Broadcasters and others killed Low Power FM broadcasting.
- News and analysis of journalism and media in online version of magazine.
Center for Democracy and Technology
- Free Speech Issues includes E Mail subscription for individuals to keep abreast of laws and rulings on Free Speech.
Charleton Heston Speech
- Speech to the Harvard Law School Forum February 16, 1999 on the insidious way the idea of political correctness is invading our freedom of thought and speech.
Citizens Internet Empowerment Coalition
- Broad internet and library coalition to support freedom of speech in their realms.
- From About.com - Columns, link libraries, polls, and discussions about personal liberty issues.
Committee for Naming Facts
- Ayn Rand Institute's Committee for Naming Facts, honors (and vindicates) Mr. Elia Kazan who showed great moral courage in testifying about the influence, in the American film and theatre industry, of those who wished to replace freedom with totalitarianism during the House UnAmerican hearings in 1952.
Cyberspace Law Institute
- Where will "free speech" be tomorrow? Extensive examination of cyberlaw issues.
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Non-profit, non-partisan organization, founded by Mitch Kapor and John Perry Barlow, working to protect fundamental civil liberties, including privacy and freedom of expression, in the arena of computers and the Internet.
First Amendment Cyber-Tribune
- Resource about the First Amendment
First Amendment Project
- Created to preserve, protect and defend everyone's right to learn about, participate in and comment on their government and public affairs.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor