By Time Period
Submit a site
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Report of a Greenpeace Scientific Expedition to Amchitka Island
- Greenpeace report documenting the radioactive legacy of an American underground nuclear test on the Alaskan island of Amchitka Island.
SRS -- Historical Highlights
- Chronology of the Savanna River Site, part of the DOE Nuclear Weapons Complex. Covers significant historical developments in the mission and evolution of the facility. Part of a larger site which includes environmental, technological, and general information about the plant.
Scientific Data of the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Disaster
- Information on the physical, medical and epidemiological effects of the bombing of Nagasaki. Includes the testimony of Dr. Raisuke Shirabe, a Doctor who was there, maps of the destroyed areas, and has a list of links for further information.
- History of early ICBM's, missile launch facilities, the work of the missileers, collection of historic photos of silos under construction, in operation and the missiles they contained.
Soviet Atmospheric Tests
- A listing of atmospheric nuclear weapons tests conducted by the former Soviet Union begining August 29, 1949 through December 25, 1962. Includes information about each test.
Soviet/Russian Nuclear Weapons and History
- Includes an illustrated history of Soviet nuclear weapons development, tables summarizing Soviet underground and atmospheric nuclear testing, and technical information on obsolete and contemporary Soviet/Russian nuclear armaments.
Speeches by Dwight D. Eisenhower: Atoms for Peace
- The full text of the Atoms for Peace speech given by President Eisenhower before the United Nations General Assembly outlining his hopes for the use of the atom for peaceful purposes and the plans of the US government to assure the future peace. Given in 1953.
The American Experience | Race for the Super Bomb
- Material from the documentary on the US/Soviet race to develop the hydrogen bomb. Includes a timeline, photographs, the people who were involved, maps, film clips of nuclear tests and a teachers guide.
The Atomic Age: A Brief Overview
- An overview of the Manhattan Project, the use of the bomb, the development of the Cold War and the physics of nuclear weapons. Includes photographs and a bibliography.
The Atomic Bomb
- Describes the process of fission as it relates to the bomb, covers the effects on people and buildings, has a timeline of events in the development of the bomb, and photos of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as well as other bomb effects.
The Atomic Bomb: A turning point in world history
- An essay about how the atomic bomb was developed and how it launched us into the nuclear age. Includes a collection of photographs, a comparison of casualties, and links to further information.
The Atomic Century
- History of the development of nuclear energy, human radiation experiments, the effects on people of the developments in nuclear physics.
The Atomic Duty of Bill Bires
- This is a short history of Pvt. Bill Bires' military duty with the 231st Engineer Combat Battalion from Ft. Lewis, Washington. Co. He was assigned temporary duty at the Atomic Test Series in the Nevada desert in the fall of 1951.
The Atomkeller-Museum at Haigerloch
- Haigerloch was the location of the German Atomkeller, lab for the study of nuclear fission during World War II. This page has photos, plans, sound recordings of interviews and outlines the history of the lab and the experiments done there.
The Avalon Project : United States Atomic Energy Commission. In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer
- This site by the Avalon Project of the Yale Law School has original documents from the findings and recommendation of the Personnel Security Board in the case of Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer. Includes letters, and the opinion written by the Atomic Energy Commission.
The Bureau of Atomic Tourism
- The Bureau of Atomic Tourism promotes tourist locations that have either been the site of atomic explosions, display exhibits on the development of atomic devices, or contain atomic weapons delivery systems. Includes links to related materials.
The Cold War
- Article on the Cold War, its origins, impact on the social history of the US and Russia, effect on the two countries foreign policy and the arms race, and the lessons of the Cold War. Includes photographs and opinion pieces on Cold War topics.
The Collision Between Western Civilization and Advanced Science and Technology
- An examination of the impact of the advent on nuclear weapons on society and culture in the West. A large collection of quotes on the subject, photos, and analysis of the influences and their consequences.
The Critical Mass
- Utilizing declassified documents, this article seeks to determine if the German atomic bomb program was indeed a creditable threat during World War II as the Manhattan Project leaders believed at the time. Includes a chronology, and an examination of the state of German nuclear physics of the period.
The History of Nuclear Testing: A Chronology
- Key dates in the history of nuclear armaments tests and efforts to ban these tests.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor