Language and Linguistics
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
- The study of Hebrew as the original proto-world language of man, and its influence on all modern languages.
Evolution of Communication
- An international multidisciplinary academic journal. Contents and abstracts from first three issues.
Illyich-Svytich's Nostratic Roots in English
- Hypothetical Nostratic word list.
Language Origins Society
- Its aim is to promote the study of the origins and evolution of language, including the phylogeny of the cerebral correlates, the adaptation of the vocal tract, and the development of linguistic features.
Lingua ex Machina: Reconciling Darwin and Chomsky with the human brain
- William Calvin and Derek Bickerton offer three ways for getting from ape behaviors to syntax. They focus on the transition from simple word association in short sentences (protolanguage) to longer recursively structured sentences (requiring syntax).
Linguists Debating Deepest Roots of Language
- The debate on Nostratic- the "Mother Tongue." The New York Times, June 27, 1995.
- A theory regarding relationships of the language groups.
- Selected readings.
- Selected readings.
NOVA Online-Transcripts-In Search of the First Language
- There are surprising similarities among the languages of the world. Could it be that at one time long ago, we all spoke the same language?
- Nostratic is the hypothesized macro-family originally proposed for the Afro-Asiatic, Altaic, Dravidian, Indo-European, Kartvelian and Uralic-Yukaghir language families.
On the Creation of the Form of Language
- Lecture by Harry van der Hulst on the issue of the evolutionary origin and development of human language.
- by Patrick C. Ryan, Mother Tongue 11, September 1990.
- An investigation of the earliest language of man. Comparative studies of the Proto-Language and various language families and languages currently considered to be isolated.
The Extended Mind: Understanding Language and Thought in Terms of Complexity and Chaos Theory
- Robert K. Logan, Professor of Physics, argues that the origins of speech and the human mind emerged simultaneously as the bifurcation from percepts to concepts.
The Role of the Hand in the Evolution of Language
- A gestural theory of the origin of language.
TheTower of Babel
- A project that aims at tracing the origin of the world's current 6,000 languages to a dozen or so protolanguages spoken around the 12th - 9th millennia before Common Era.
Was Nostratic A Real Language?
- On the family tree of languages, no one is quite sure whether Nostratic is a real branch or a just a shadow that has fooled some linguistic researchers.
- Presents an interpretation of the Indus Valley Civilizations script by Dr. Madhusudan Mishra.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor