Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
A Brief History of Marine Biology and Oceanography
- Historical overview of marine sciences from the bronze age to the 20th century, with images and a timeline.
- Discussion of the idea of abiogenesis, or spontaneous generation of animals (such as flies from dead meat).
- Short biographies of Biochemists Marshall Nirenberg, who cracked the genetic code, and Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins, discoverer of vitamins
Biographies of Biologists
- Alphabetical list of biologists' and paleontologists' biographies maintained by the University of California Museum of Paleontology.
- Variety of resources for teaching the history of biotechnology, including timelines, biographies, and stories.
Cloning of Genetically Engineered Molecules
- A short biography of Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen, the inventors of the method of cloning genetically engineered molecules in foreign cells.
Enter Evolution: Theory and History
- Evolutionary topics and scientists in their historical context - from Museum of Paleontology, UC-Berkeley.
Evolution of Evolution
- Essay on the interaction of human history, including women's history, and the development of evolution theory.
Evolution: Selected Papers and Commentary
- Full-text versions of key papers in evolutionary biology from the nineteenth century onwards, with particular emphasis on the work of William Bateson and Darwin's close research associate, George Romanes.
Fabre, Jean-Henri Casimir ( 1823 - 1915 )
- The life and work of this entomologist. E-Tetxs and Gallery.
From Mendel to Biotechnology: A Critical Look at the Historical Development and Philosophical Foundations of Modern Biology
- Paper presented at the 1997 Summer Thomistic Institute, University of Notre Dame, 1997, by Martin Hewlett of the University of Arizona.
H-Environment Discussion Forum
- As a gateway to information concerning past human interactions with nature, H-Environment offers archives of discussion threads, other online and print resources, relevant event announcements, and subscription to the current discussion.
History of Biomedicine
- Extensive historical perspective of the medical and biomedical fields, including useful biomedical research links. From the Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm.
History of Genetics
- Course taught at Dartmouth College; includes links to biographical essays, online papers, and other resources, including eugenics and genome projects.
History of Science
- Highlights of the theories of major scientists, especially those involved with natural history and biology, arranged in chronological order and with images.
International Society for the History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology (ISHPSSB)
- The Society sponsors an annual meeting, a listserv, and semiannual newsletters, and offers educational resources and a beginner's guide for research in the history of biology.
Joseph Dalton Hooker
- A leading nineteenth century botanist, and close friend of Charles Darwin.
Journal of the History of Biology
- "Devoted to the history of the biological sciences, with additional interest and concern in philosophical and social issues confronting biology." Table of contents, author instructions, and subscription information are available for free.
- An informal and incomplete guide to the history of evolutionary biology from about 1800 to about 1950. Its main emphases are on the late 19th century and on paleontology.
Life Sciences in the Twentieth Century
- History of Science Society newsletter article, by Garland Allen, 1997.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor