Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Amazon Center for Environmental Education and Research
- Provides information about ACEER's activities in research, education and land husbandry in the Upper Amazon Basin, near Iquitos, where it owns 250,000 acres of rainforest.
Amazon River Dolphins
- An extensive, well presented study on Amazon River Dolphins in the northern Peruvian Amazon, incorporating background information, field notes, graphics, maps and scientific research. Prepared by educators, students and grad students. Lesson plans available.
Anchovy Depletion and Trade
- Case study from the Trade Environment Database, part of the Mandala Projects at American University. Focuses on trade as an agent of globalization.
- Lays out the Foundation's goals of buying land in the cloud-and-rain forest areas and opening the "Shaman Medical Research Center" joining local shamans in investigating plant species to find new compounds, vaccines and cures for diseases.
Checklist of Flowering Plants and Gymnosperms
- Missouri Botanical Garden's annotated listing of the 17,143 species of flowering plants and gymnosperms in 2,458 genera and 224 families (including Orchidaceae, Asteraceae, Fabaceae, and Piperaceae) known to occur in Peru. A 1.5 mb zipped archive available for download.
Coca Trade and Environment
- Case study from the Trade Environment Database, part of the Mandala Projects at American University. Explores the ecological impact of drug trafficking on the Amazon.
Conservation International Country Program
- Details threats of deforestation, expansion of the agrarian frontier, cattle ranching, unsustainable timber extraction, land/resource tenure insecurity, contamination of water sources, soil and air due to oil spills, and use of mercury for gold mining.
Consortium for Sustainable Development of the Andean Ecoregion
- Explains CONDESAN's activities in natural resource management in the ecologically senstive Andes with governments, research centers, universities and communities.
- Discusses short and long term environmental effects on army tactical decision of this current off the Peruvian coast. With links to other information. U.S. Army Topographic Engineering Center.
Geohazards in the Peruvian Andes
- Looks at the human risks of living in the Colca valley, near the Sabancaya volcano in southern Peru. Joint effort by the Smithsonian Institute and NASA's Commercial Remote Sensing Program. Includes QuickTime movies and other visuals (1998).
- Analyses the history and impact of guano mining and commerce in the 19th and early 20th century, as part of the Trade Environment Database (TED) at American University.
- Jeffrey Bernstein pulls together a broad, current picture of information technology and its impact on the country.
Life and Times of J. Francis Macbride
- Information about the U.S. botanist (1892-1976) and his ground-breaking Flora of Peru series. Excerpts from his travel journal with photos (1922-3).
Lost Crops of the Inca
- Little-Known Plants of the Andes with Promise for Worldwide Cultivation (1989), an online manuscript that covers research about exotic cereales, fruits, roots and tubers.
Medical Geography and Cholera
- Makes a case study of the epidemic outbreak in 1991, with graphics and geographic information system data files. University of Colorado's Department of Geography
Peruvian Association for Conservation of Nature
- Describes how APECO supports nature conservation, preserving biological diversity and promoting an adequate use of natural resources. The organization has programs in Rio Abiseo and Manu national parks in the Amazon region.
Peruvian Cactus and Succulent Society
- Informs about activities of this non-profit association, including its annual publication and cacti-related research outside Peru.
Peruvian Physics Network
- Information about the activities of Peruvian physicists around the world.
Plants of the Machiguenga
- A combination travelogue and scientific inquiry into medicinal uses of rain forest plants. Neurologist Ethan Russo examines the ethnobotany, anthropology, and wildlife of this Amazonian tribe in Parque Nacional del Manu.
Rainforest Conservation Fund
- RCF informs about efforts to raise funds for and manage the 800,000 acre Tamshiyacu-Tahuayo Community Reserve near Iquitos.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor