Society and Culture
Human Rights and Liberties
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
California's "Gulag" on Trial
- Alexander Cockburn challenges the validity of U.S. imprisonment in this Nation article.
Citizens United for Rehabilitation of Errants
- Crime reduction through reform of the criminal justice system in America. CURE
- How the "Drug War" has led to numerous imprisonments with little or no evidence except from "snitches," reducing their own sentences by fingering innocent (often black) people.
Native American Spiritual Freedom in Prison
- Native Web's views on spiritual freedom in U.S. prison
- Where prisoners exercise first amendment rights of free speech and expression about crime and punishment in America. Offers educational, publishing, forensic, legal and ministry support.
Prison Law Page
- Prisons and prison law: including articles, case updates, a California prison primer and links on the death penalty and justice issues.
- Authentic prison photos and prison art.
Prisoners as Laborers
- Single page, paper on convicts being used for their industriousness rather than being provided rehabilitation. Uses Florida statistics as example.
Red Onion State Prison
- Super-Maximum Prison in Virginia. "The day I arrived I was told that I was at Red Onion now and if I act up they would kill me and there was nothing anyone could or would do about it."
The Fortune Society
- Staffed primarily by ex-offenders, the society is a not-for-profit community-based organization dedicated to educating the public about prisons, criminal justice issues, and the root causes of crime. Helps ex-offenders and at-risk youth break the cycle of crime and incarceration through a broad range of services.
Virginia's First Supermaximum Security Prison
- Red Onion State Prison was the first of two supermaximum security prisons to open in Virginia in the past year. Intended to hold the state's most dangerous inmates, Red Onion -- and its twin, Wallens Ridge State prison -- restrict inmate movement and activities to a far greater extent than in maximum security facilities.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor