Science and Environment
Submit a site
whatUseek Collection Sites
submit a site
Give your site great placement in this category in as little as two business days!
whatUseek Directory Site Listings:
Canadian Shark Research Laboratory
- An information source on sharks and shark fisheries in Atlantic Canada. Lists sharks found in these waters, identification keys, sightings, shark ageing, anatomy, reproduction, feeding, fisheries, interesting facts and publications related to sharks.
Conservation Data Center
- 5,908 occurrence records on 529 rare taxa. Includes vascular plants, freshwater fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and terrestrial mammals.
Cougars in The Maritimes
- Outdoor Nova Scotia has the latest information on one of the true mysteries of the eastern forests - the mountain lion. Seven pages of stories about cougar sightings.
Department of Natural Resources - Wildlife Division
- Aims at conservation and sustainable use of wildlife populations, habitats and ecosystems. An encyclopedic list of information and a library of articles from the Harlequin duck to the Blue spotted salamander. An enormous site.
Discovering Nova Scotia's Natural Heritage
- A comprehensive catalogue of plants, wildlife and natural history with a clickable links pictorial interface.
East Coast Birds
- Take a jaunt down to Robie Tufts' Birds of Nova Scotia for hundreds of descriptions and illustrations. Includes hot bird topics, and information on birding in the Maritimes.
Electronic Resources on Lepidoptera
- Bills itself as the most complete and comprehensive web site on lepidoptera on the internet. It offers information on butterflies and moths and an exhaustive list of information resources.
- Help monitor the presence and health of frogs in the province. If they're healthy, so will you be. Site has a useful search and map display for amphibians, courtesy of the Ecological Monitoring and Assessment network.
Leatherback Turtle Working Group
- Fishermen and university biologists collaborate on marine turtle research and conservation. Learn about sea turtles and track a leatherback turtle through the Atlantic Ocean.
Nova Scotia Herpetofaunal Atlas Project
- Seeks to know where, what and how many snakes and amphibians there are in the province. Contains information, identification guides, atlases, databases, newsletters and a photo gallery.
Nova Scotia Stranding Network
- Features background information, how to handle stranded whales and dolphins, hotline, and articles.
The Butterflies of Nova Scotia
- This scholarly site catalogues the lepidoptera of the province, providing pictures where available. The visitor may look up a species by characteristics checklist, an alphabetic index, or just browse.
- Informs us of the Atlantic Cooperative Wildlife Ecology Network, weather, pollution, migratory birds, endangered species, smuggling, wetlands, hunting and response to oil spills.
Wildlife of Nova Scotia
- The text of Julie Towers' book Wildlife of Nova Scotia, a scholarly publication for naturalists. It provides access to most of the book's contents except illustrations and tables.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor